Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big board, long sidecut, nose rocker & camber underfoot...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:24 pm 

barrows wrote:
Buell: good observations. One of my riding partners has a 2010 Storm, and I have the 2011. As far as I can tell they come from the same mold, ie same rocker profile. There is a difference though, the 2011 is quite a bit stiffer in the nose and tail, Klem has confirmed this with me, and hand flexing demonstrates it as well. The increased stiffness should reduce the effect of the rocker.
I only have one day on the board so far, and will report more after I have gotten it out in more situations-I am concerned how it is going to handle in the steeps, and will certainly report in on that. As noted, my peliminary point of view is that I would prefer a little camber through the midsection and tail of the board. more later.

We had the 2010 Storm. I called Venture to ask them if there were any changes to the board for 2011 and they said the same thing you were told, that the rocker would be the same but it would be a bit stiffer. We really liked the board and would have considered a 2011 if it had less tail rocker than the 2010.

The biggest issue we had with the tail rocker on the Storm (it was only ridden in nice powder) was that, for both Rebecca and myself, the board was really inconsistent in how it acted when you stomped on the tail to slow it down before heading into the trees. It would often head off in a new direction instead of slowing down. With less tail rocker this should not have been an issue.

I am pretty sure a rockered board should be stiffer than its cambered counterpart. The changes to the flex might be a good thing.

My 158 Prior BC split custom 11m sidecut is built. I will be posting it up soon.

Post subject: Re: Big board, long sidecut, nose rocker & camber underfoot...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 am 

I think the manufactured rockered backcountry board designs are halfway there now, they are brave enough to put a fair bit of rocker in, but still working there way towards making them stiff enough to not overflex. Also I think there are two ways to go in light of these observations, a board can have camber underfoot all the way out the tail or a constant curve the whole length of the board and a stiff enough tail so it holds a lot of pressure and doesn't let go. The cambered profile has more rebound at slower speeds and the constant curve had a really wide range from looseness at slow speeds to lots of stabbility and grunt when you really bank it.

If you have a cambered section only between your feet, then the tail lifts up and gets progressively softer, you have effectively removed a lot of the support and drive away from the tail of your board and all the work is being done from in front of your back foot, as a result the board probably feels washy and too loose behind the back foot instead of drivey and accelerating out of turns. You get a flat spot in the middle of the board and then the tail breaks away from the pow that the front and middle of the board have compressed.
(Like a surfboard with too thick a tail and without enough fin area for a good wave.)