Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Die Cuts Suck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am 

Why do so many companies insist on die cutting their bases? Sure, it makes a sweet looking base that really stands out but this is purely aesthetic and goes against functionality. If a company wants to claim that they are making a good durable board, why would they have a die cut base?

Have you ever seen what happens when a rock tears across a die cut seem? It can separate the base and really fuck it up making it a bitch to repair. Also, I would think that one solid sheet of ptex would be faster than one made up of a bunch of tiny pieces of ptex.

I'm not referring to any one company in particular because it seems that they all (most) do it.

Can anyone give me a valid reason why a die cut base is beneficial?

Wouldn't it be cool to have a single piece of Ptex on your base? Splits could even be two different colors.

Post subject: Re: Die Cuts Suck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 am 

Another reason that I like Venture... Inlayed base graphics on a sintered base. Gnarly bases. Simple and solid.

http://venturesnowboards.com/index.php?inc=construction.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am 

summersgone wrote:
Another reason that I like Venture... Inlayed base graphics on a sintered base. Gnarly bases. Simple and solid.

http://venturesnowboards.com/index.php?inc=construction.html

DUDE! Inlayed base graphics are the same as die cut. The base is made up of more than one piece. Then they act like they are saving the world by re-using the scraps on other boards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 am 

I just realized that after I hit submit. Edit: I'm dumb. I'll blame it on Snowdown getting me drunk and I'm slow today.

But still small amount of actually in layed graphics. Just letters I know probably a stretch, but I still think the bases are rock star, I've cranked them with no core shots.

Saving the world? Really? I don't see that?
Quote:
Because we swap the spare parts from one base with those from another, we are able to use materials more efficiently and eliminate waste
its common. Look at jones
Quote:
P-tex scraps are recycled into new bases

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 am 

My point is: They are using this all as marketing hype. Every manufacturer does it, not just Venture. Jones says the same thing about reusing the scraps on other boards. They actually talk about "Inlayed" or "Die Cut" as if it's a good thing. It's not!

Sure, it's better than the old way where there was a sheet of graphics under the base that was glued together. THose used to delam if you looked at them funny.

The problem is that they could just leave the bases as one solid color and they would be more durable and use less energy, man hours, and machinery cutting and putting these fancy bases together. Hows that for reducing waste?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 am 

Shredgnar I completely agree.

I too wish more board companies offered just single material bases. You can get that through prior which is cool.

In the end though most snowboard equipment isn't designed from a 100% practical standpoint. Few things are. A lot of people want it to look pretty and then for it to preform well and everyone's scale of what sacrifices they're willing to make is different.

The best we can do is keep asking for it and ordering boards with single material bases!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 am 

Yeah, nice idea, but how are you going to get your photo incentive bucks from the palm air cliff drops and the pow wheelies?

Come on people! Get back to the real world!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am 

Funny that Voile, the boards I consider to be the least durable, are the only ones I see with solid bases. I guess they don't really have a team or advertise that much. Good for them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:40 pm 

Die-cutting / inlaying is the alternate option to printing graphics. Printing graphics requires extra paint and does not form an ideal epoxable surface. if weight and strength were everything, and you didn;t give a damn about looks, a plain base woudl be ideal. And boring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 pm 

Sentury Snowboards uses a one piece sublimated base for every board they produce. :thumpsup: It does cost a bit more due to needing an expensive printer, ink and time and money transferring. Die cut bases are strictly a cost savings measure and are boring as hell because of the lack in detail with the graphics. :nononno:

"Printing graphics requires extra paint and does not form an ideal epoxable surface."

This isn't entirely true. The process of preparing the surface is a simple step that is easily overlooked or ignored. It's all tricks of the trade. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:33 pm 

aliasptr wrote:
I too wish more board companies offered just single material bases.

I don't know anything about die cut but my Winterstick split is a solid black base with no graphics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 pm 

+1

BGnight wrote:
aliasptr wrote:

I don't know anything about die cut but my Winterstick split is a solid black base with no graphics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
+1

BGnight wrote:
aliasptr wrote:

Yeah but no graphics = No steezing!!

Shouldn't we all be more concerned about our cholesterol and doing too many drugs?

Hahahahahahahhahahahah