Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: woman's dilemma
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm 

Hey,
I currently own a 150 Prior Kyber split. It's much shorter than I normally ride, but for some reason I was nervous about getting the 156 (I had no experience on a split and thought the length would make skinning and weight a challenge, so I erred on the side of short.) Well, now I really wish I had a longer board, so I want to sell it.

I know, a good rider can ride anything, and I can ride it for sure, but why not have what I want and inject a sweet splitboard into the used market for another woman?? So I was thinking to get the 154 Mojo, which would include the rail bindings (awesome!)

Then bham! Prior makes the Brandywine chic board, in a 154. This is what I would really want, to support Prior and the fact that they are making a women's specific. And where are the Voile splits manufactured anyway? Can the quality be as good as a handmade in BC? BUT, I don't have a lot of cash and it seems crazy to drop all this money for just 4 cm....At least with the Mojo I'd be getting new bindings.

So, sell the 150 Prior and buy the 154 mojo with new bindings?
Suck it up and ride the 150?
Sell the 150 and replace with 154 Prior Brandywine (dropping around $400 that I don't have, putting me back in the negative).

(Its a silly dilemma, but a friend suggested I throw this up here to see what people would say.)

Thanks,
Miz Moss in the Cascades

Post subject: Re: woman's dilemma
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 pm 

why you need a factory board - DIY - cut the board you love to ride.....

Burton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:07 pm 

Never Summer makes the Summit in a 156... just to give you another option, and they will put any topsheet/base on it that you want

I just got a 164, and it is an absolutely beautiful board.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:56 pm 

Miss Moss. There are plenty of splits too choose from, if you do not mind, what are your relevant specs (height and weight and foot size)? Consider that Venture makes boards in many sizes with 24 cm waists that will work great for women, and the Ventures are very high quality boards made in the US.
I have a friend who is around 5'4" and 110 lbs, getting a very nice Venture Storm 152 with a 24 cm waist which should suit her very well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 pm 

Voile is built in Salt Lake City, UT.

I've got a lady friend who will trade you her 154 Mojo for your 150 Prior. Interested?

Her 154 is much larger than her normal ride, and the 150 would probably fit her quite well.

Send me a pm if you are interested in a trade, I'll hook you two up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 am 

ehcarley wrote:
Voile is built in Salt Lake City, UT.

I've got a lady friend who will trade you her 154 Mojo for your 150 Prior. Interested?

Her 154 is much larger than her normal ride, and the 150 would probably fit her quite well.

Send me a pm if you are interested in a trade, I'll hook you two up.

It's always nice to get a board without having to spend cash. Prior isn't the only womens specific splitboard. Check out Sentury. They have 2 womens specific boards, are lighter than any other manufactured split and the least expensive. They do free demos so you can try before you buy. Hope you find what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 pm 

Demoing a board is worth the time. Check with the various makers and find out if they will be at any events where you can demo there product.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:47 pm 

Hey Moss,

I have found that whenever I skimp on buying what I "really actually want/need" I usually end up buying it anyway, at a later date. Of course I might be a complete gear slut who hangs his shit in his bedroom to check out, but that is besides the point.

A splitboard is a big investment, and you should get what your gut tells you would be the sickest choice. IF its 400 you don't have, then that's something else... I would usually say "just pay yourself back in the spring, when construction work picks up" but that's juse my irresponsible youth speaking.

My good buddy Liz Daley just got her Prior Brandywine with Karakorams, and she's FUCKIN PSYCHED! Also, its not just 4 cm your buying, its a completely different, women's specific shred stick that travelled through the universe to meet YOU. Only YOU!

Hope that maybe helps a wee bit...

PS. Whereabouts are you located? North Cascades? Lets get out touring! I need more local split partners... Everyone skis!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:54 am 

For what it's worth backcountry magazine stated in their annual gear review that the women testers found the new mojo rx to be their favorite splitboard. http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1352&Category_Code=Voile_Splitboards&Product_Count=0

Voile splitboards are handmade in salt lake city and voile has the best customer service in the industry. plus the package deal is sweet! The boards are also durable I have two older mojos and have 150-250 touring days on them. The top sheets are beat up, but i have yet to blow out an edge(and i have hit some big rocks) or delam the board.

prior also makes a nice stick, but they are a lot more expensive. I think you would be happy with either board.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 pm 

I think the Rx would be a great board for a female rider. SUPER light and poppy, not overly stiff, very rider friendly. I think the Priors and Ventures are sick as well. I've found those boards to be a bit heavier and stiffer, which I think would be an issue for petite riders. Guys can power those boards around and it's not as much of an issue but for ladies it might be. I am going to split a board for my wife. I think a DIY is the way to go for girls. I've found Arbors on sale for 150$ the split kit is 160$. I think 154 would be a bit too much for my wife otherwise I would definitelely consider a 154 Voile RX. Please let us know what you get and how it works out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:22 pm 

I, too, am trying to decide which board to get. Right now, I'm trying to decide between Prior Brandywine and NS Summit. Two different boards, I know. But if I'm spending that much money I'm thinking I may as well splurge on NS. The only problem I have is the board is way more directional. I ride in the Northeast in tight trees, and need to ride switch often.

TIA!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 pm 

Hay girl! I have the 158 Prior Brandywine with Karakoram bindings and it's the best board I have ever ridden! I'm in Chamonix right now shredding some pretty radical shit and it's held up amazingly. I even ride it in the park. I didn't have the money to drop on the Prior but I did it anyways and I'm definitely not regretting it. I wrote a really comprehensive review of the board for The Vertical Woman, online magazine. It should be published in the next week or so. Check it out! http://www.vertical-woman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 pm 

UTAH wrote:
I think the Rx would be a great board for a female rider. SUPER light and poppy, not overly stiff, very rider friendly. I think the Priors and Ventures are sick as well. I've found those boards to be a bit heavier and stiffer, which I think would be an issue for petite riders. Guys can power those boards around and it's not as much of an issue but for ladies it might be. I am going to split a board for my wife. I think a DIY is the way to go for girls. I've found Arbors on sale for 150$ the split kit is 160$. I think 154 would be a bit too much for my wife otherwise I would definitelely consider a 154 Voile RX. Please let us know what you get and how it works out.

Miss Moss... Just wanted to point out that Venture adjusts the flex of their boards by size, so the smaller models are much softer flexing. My 166x26 Storm is a pretty stiff board, but my female friends 152x24 Storm is soft flexing by comparison. My friend is not a "powerful" rider by any means, but she is loving the Venture (she weighs about 110 lbs). I just wanted to respond to the post above that which seems to suggest that Ventures might be too stiff for smaller riders-this is just not the case! I do not doubt that the Priors are excellent as well (as per LizDee). As a female, you just need a properly sized board, with a waist width which matches your boot size, and a flex which matches your weight and riding preferences, both Venture and Prior have you covered here.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/