Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Socal or San Fran Peaks (Flagstaff) partner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 pm 

Hey All,

This is my 2nd year splitboarding and looking for a partner to hit the backcountry in the Socal mtns. (San Gabriels, Mt. San Jacinto, or the San Gorgonio Wilderness) or in the Flagstaff area (may be there over the winter holiday or over president's day holiday). I am free most weekends after December, unfortunately not during the week as I am a school teacher (however I have played hookie when there is a big dump). Took an avi-1 class last year as well.

Contact Eric (mastcloud@msn.com)

Post subject: Re: Socal or San Fran Peaks (Flagstaff) partner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:42 am 

Eric, I'm in Flag. Not enough snow yet. Pay attention to the snow report for AZ Snowbowl ski area for info on conditions. And look at Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center, lots of good info, maps, and a bulletin board/forum. There's one other splitter that posts here, and there's at least 6 more splitters in town. I'd be happy to go out with ya.
We have lots of BC terrain, but curious though, why would you come here when the East side Sierras are the same drive time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 pm 

My wife and I love Flagstaff, although she is not splitter. Your right, the east side of the Sierras has some killer pow and is probably a little bit closer than Flag, but I always feed bad leaving my wife behind when I head up to the Sierras. There is a lot more to do for my wife around Flag when I head out -- plus I've heard that you have some unbelievably dry pow that doesn't compare to the wet stuff that sometimes hits the Sierras.

However, I could also use a partner to hit the Sierras sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm 

Cool, we'll be in touch when it's closer to actually riding on snow. Short term forecast is not good. :x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:02 am 

Hi there,

New to the site as well, and live in Ventura! I've been snowboarding bc for 10+ years but mostly day trips in Europe (where I'm from). Would be nice to go on a few tours in the new year, explore the Sierra's or local mountains, I'm up for anything. Let's stay in touch!

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:56 pm 

Equilibrium,

Just went out splitting in the Eastern Sierras earlier this week -- wish I could get out this weekend in socal, but not likely.

However, I think it would be great to have a partner to hit the local socal mtns this winter. Maybe we could get together to hit Baldy or maybe even San Jacinto.

Feel free to email me and lets get in touch -- matstcloud@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 am 

Conditions update:
A couple of you guys have asked about the S.F. Peaks this fall. A few of us toured the peaks last weekend, and things look pretty good in most places. Just be prepared for medium to huge approaches. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 pm 

I'd love to join you guys. I'm new to splitting (board arrived today!) but have some backcountry travel/rescue skills as I spent a few seasons bootpacking and snowshoeing out in CO.

Basicallly I'm a reasonably fit 28 year old with a bit of experience, who is competent in basic avalanche rescue techniques. I also have a (lapsed) wilderness first aid certification and am currently enrolled in an avy I course with Baldy Ski Patrol.

Although I have some experience in the backcountry, I know just enough to understand that I really don't know shit and would love to find a group of more experienced splitters to learn from. Hit me up if you are headed out and wouldn't mind me tagging along.

isaac.silverman@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 pm 

Thanks for that silver. I didn't know baldy was offering avy1 and 2 now; too bad It was last weekend.

I'm going to be on the East side this weekend. Probably camping outside Independence or Big pine though I haven't decided where to go yet. Just putting it out there in case anyone else is interested.

Pinguino.