Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whistler/Duffey BC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:42 am 

Hey i'm living in Whistler for the season and plan on being way out back while all the Olympic shenanigans are goin on,me and a buddy and getting splitboards this year and are planning some day trips to start off and then want to work up to some over nighters in the springtime.
We are super keen and out and about scouting with the maps and a book called 'ski touring the coast mountains'' by john baldwin already.

So anyone already in the area looking to do some trips and hopefully give us some insights as best spots to go,right now we are pretty interested in the Duffey lake area as there are a couple of huts there and some nice looking terrain,also it is not much of a sled head spot,which seems to be the issue around Whistler,i don't want to share my backcountry experience with sleders,cat skiing or helis!

Cheers guys,happy splitting

Post subject: Re: Whistler/Duffey BC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:15 am 

Hey, it would be nice to get out into thouse areas as well. I dont have much back country experince either but I think you would be hard pressed not to be sharing the BC with hili/cat skiers or sledders unless you where in a park.

Do you have avi gear as well? I think you'll find that not to menny people will ride with you in the BC with out it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:08 pm 

Hey,yeah i'm starting to think it maybe unavoidable with all the other backcountry users in the area.Yes i am avy trained and have all the gear,i would'nt set foot in this forum without it :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:17 pm 

Yo Guys,

I'm from BC and make a weekly commute to Whistler / Duffey / Pemberton every weekend.

I've got my AVI Level one and have a couple weekend tours under my belt. I've completed a weekend touring course with CWMS and have spent several days in Whistler side country.

I've been to several of the alpine huts in the area, mostly in the summer, but Keith's Hut, Elfin shelter and Brian Waddington hut in the winter.

I'm always looking for more people who are into earning their turns!

I was hoping to get something going this Wednesday- snow is piling up! - other than that every weekend and holiday is a go for.

btw - early opening Nov 14???!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:11 pm 

Yeah been an epic few days here in Whistler for opening,Avi risk is extreme now and after next storm cycle things should settle down,maybe the weekend will be good,i've sent you pm with my number and fb email,cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:24 pm 

S.O.S.....I Live in Ottawa but have an unexpected 3 days in Vancouver, and a Whistler Virgin. Been Splitting for about 6yrs and have Monday the 30th to Wednesday the 2nd of Nov. A little out of shape but looking to get a tour in. I know it is short notice but can't wait to slay some POW! 613-851-8819

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:35 pm 

I will give you a call tomorrow,always looking for partner to do Whistler slackcountry,but temps are bad right no,so it might be crap