Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South America - Argentina and Chile mid July to mid August
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:35 pm 

Hi,

Tom from Oz posting my first thread here, have been watching the site and getting inspired by all the TR's for some time. I live in Perth, Australia, no snow around here, so I am counting down the days till I get to test my brand new split (Prior Spearhead 165). Been surfing for years and only discovered snow in August last year, luckily on some deep powdery chutes in Portillo, Chile, and have got a hankering for untouched deep, steep slopes. Since then I've gotten in around 55 days in Chile, Italy, India and Japan (a good effort if you live in the desert) and have just happily said farewell to my snowshoes.

I'm planning a Sth American excursion this winter, at the moment looking at the terrain around Bariloche and also up further north in Chile.

If anyone is going to be in the area then would be great to catch up and head out for some runs.

Anyway, love the site, looking forward to many years of snow, mountains and wide open faces.

cheers,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:48 pm 

If money falls into my hands I'm so there. Looking forward to some S. America TRs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:59 pm 

Toz -

I've done trips to Argentina/Chile the last three years. Your're gonna love it.

Bariloche is a great resort town. High mountain lake, gorgeous. Snow conditions can be a bit iffy, as it is not so high in elevation and the storms tend to be big and far apart.

Las Lenas has better snow but no town at all. It's so high you are above the treeline. Kind of reminds me of a moon base.

Both offer pretty endless touring possiblities. Probably a little better at at Lenas, given snow cover and terrain. But the offset is that there is not as much to do outside of boarding, and wind conditions can often shut the place down.

All of my trips have been end August/early Sept. A bit earlier conditions are probably better - but that is just the way it has worked out for me. I've never taken the splitter. There has generally been so much bootable backcountry at each resort it hasn't seemed worthwhile. If I was able to take a longer trip (more than 6 days of riding) I probably would, but packing a resort board + splitter can be a pain. Especially since the first year we went, the airline lost half our party's gear!

Mtn Man - If you can scrape together 40k miles on Alaska or American you're home free - it's wicked cheap once you get there. You could easily get by on $50-80 a day. Biggest cost is the $300 or so the domestic airlines will charge you to get from BA to the mountains.

Also - beware of flying in through Santiago, Chile!!! They have a "special" $100 entry charge for los Americanos! Exit fee from Argentina is only $18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

I plan to live in Bariloche or somewhere similar for the southern hemisphere winter of 2009, not many resources on that though... You guys seem to know quite a bit, any ideas in that direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 am 

thanks for the info,

I heard that the powder was a bit better up further north so I've actually decided to fly into Santiago and spend around 5 weeks in Chile. I was at Portillo last year, boarding in the resort and the snow was amazing so I'm going to start off around there (Aug 9th) and see where I end up. Las Lenas is just over the border so thats on the books, plus there is some really cheap accomodation in Farellones, near Chile which has a whole range of options, and the terrain looks great.

can't wait!