Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont rider wanted
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am 

mergs wrote:
Hey BigJay, did you find it a significantly lighter setup? Or were they just more responsive than the plates. I'm running Burton Mission bindings now and I am thinking of pulling the ripcord on the new Sparks.

Lighter AND you don't feel like you're wearing High Heels... which i don't like very much...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 am 

I live at 2000' and everything above that seems to be holding up nicely. There is about 2-3' of base. The untouched areas still are holding about 3" of powder on top, it didn't get warm (edit) enough to form the "death crust" at the 2000'+ elevations. Last weekend I skinned to the radio tower on Ricker peak and went off the backside into the basin near Waterbury Reservoir. It was about a 1.5-2 mile descent and it was great. Snow below 1200' is probably a bit choppy this weekend. I say you are definitely good to do a trip this weekend and if you get the chance, take it - since they are calling for high-elevation rain Monday. Let me know if you want someone to tag along, I don't have anyone to split with yet in VT. I can go Saturday or Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am 

matt_vt wrote:
I live at 2000' and everything above that seems to be holding up nicely. There is about 2-3' of base. The untouched areas still are holding about 3" of powder on top, it didn't get warm (edit) enough to form the "death crust" at the 2000'+ elevations. Last weekend I skinned to the radio tower on Ricker peak and went off the backside into the basin near Waterbury Reservoir. It was about a 1.5-2 mile descent and it was great. Snow below 1200' is probably a bit choppy this weekend. I say you are definitely good to do a trip this weekend and if you get the chance, take it - since they are calling for high-elevation rain Monday. Let me know if you want someone to tag along, I don't have anyone to split with yet in VT. I can go Saturday or Sunday.

Cool, thanks for that, esp. the elevations... that really helps.

Edit: we're staying local after all. Work... :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 am 

I hit Camel's Hump/Bald Peak on Sunday and it was awesome. Plenty of great snow.

I am planning to go again Weds morning if anyone is interested. Drop me a line.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 pm 

Big Jay you know I'll get out there eventually. I got my b-day split kit and skins today, and prepped my deck to cut it. going super budget because I didn't plan to split this season -- but after going out on slowshoes again, I remember why I wanted to split.

Hope to get this rig set up ASAP, in the middle of mad work until early April but, I have a feeling the season will last for awhile -- I usually get fairly easy turns somewhere ior other just hiking end of May anyway.

I'll throw some pics up when my deck is cut,

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 am 

Dan9 wrote:
BigJay you know I'll get out there eventually. I got my b-day split kit and skins today, and prepped my deck to cut it. going super budget because I didn't plan to split this season -- but after going out on slowshoes again, I remember why I wanted to split.

Nice to see you on here! Tons of info, tons of input from riders who can guide you with pretty much anything! Many DIY vids and a very good one about splitting a board... look it up!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 am 

...and just in time for the mega snow of the season! Woohoo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am 

Dan9 wrote:
...and just in time for the mega snow of the season! Woohoo!

oooooooooooh yeah!

Looks like i'm heading for the mountain tonight... Depends on what time we get there... might go for some night riding as well... Might get up extra early for a dawn patrol.... We'll see! Phone has been rigging all morning...