Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Hood - Info or partners - July 6th&7th
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:07 am 

Hey all, I'm looking mostly for information, but if anyone is interested in going out when I'm in the PNW, let me know... Here's the story:

Some (non-snowboarding) friends of mine and I have been planning a trip to climb Rainier the second weekend of July. We'll be meeting up on Saturday, the 8th and starting our climb on the 9th. I was starting to plan my flights out of Boston, and decided to make a long trip of it. I'd like to get some altitude under my belt before our climb so that 14k feet doesn't hit me like a ton of bricks.

I know a couple of the slopes are open year round, and I understand that there is some hiking-accessible stuff above the lifts. My goal isn't to summit, just get some altitude, get a workout, and get some runs in during July. Unfortunately, I don't have a splitboard (not too many places to use them in New England. :? ) but I would be up for renting one if that's the weapon of choice. If it's not, I'm well-equipped with snowshoes, PMB's and crampons for getting around.

So, anyone have any suggestions for mid-summer routes on Hood? any books or other resources out there? any one think they'll be off work that week and show an east-coastie around? :D

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 am 

Dude from Boston

I'll be in Portland Or that month, and would be happy to hook up and go ride on Hood. It will be my first time on Hood, since I just moved to OR from Seattle, but the access is pretty easy and well described.

If you can get a split, do it, but I don't mind snow shoeing or boot packing for a day.

Scott
206-909-0998

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:30 pm 

Sweet.
I'm waaaay out of town for the next week, but I'll check in when I get back. So, the next step is... I'm flying into Seattle, and will be driving down to the Hood/Portland area on Wednesday the 5th. Can anybody suggest a shop to rent a split between Seattle and Portland? REI doesn't rent them in it's Seattle Flagship, does it?

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:24 am 

I got a rental (apparently their only one) from OMC in Portland. I'll pick it up on Wednesday night and be ready to ride on Thursday morning. I gotta return it by 7 on Friday, so maybe a short second day...

Anybody have any suggestions for info about Mt. Hood. Is it just: find a parking lot, skin/hike up, turn around, repeat?

Thanks,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:44 pm 

This might be a good place to start.

[/url]http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150189/mount-hood.html[url]

or better yet, weed through some trip reports here.

[/url]http://www.turns-all-year.com/[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 pm 

damn. i can never get these links to work.

[url]http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150189/mount-hood.html]summit post[/url]

[url]http://www.turns-all-year.com/]turns all year[/url]

if this doesn't work, you know how to cut and paste.[/url]