Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver area?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:09 pm 

Any splitboarders in Vancouver? Anything worth hiking closer to town? I usually board at Whistler. Hoping to get out to some of the newb Whistler BC stuff next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:49 pm 

I hear Diamond Head is an easily accessible spot. Atwell peak might be sick if it has a line down it. Always wanted to hit Fay as well, though you have to contend with the sledders there. It seems as though all of the less popular (though still well known) places are north of Whistler such as Cayoosh, Joffre, Marriott, Bralorne, etc.

From Whistler you have the whole Spearhead range, which has a multitude of options.

You should consider the Baker BC and Chilliwack area as well. Not too far and plenty of gnar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:46 pm 

Hey badkarma,

I'm also a newb splitter in Van getting a late start on this wicked season. I've had the split for about a month and done some tours with AT guys to Marriot Basin off Duffy Lake road, and Zoa peak off the coquihalla highway.

I've also done many laps on Flute bowl when I can't find partners. This is a good, relativly safe place to practice your skinning, and its actually a bit faster to skin up than hike-out,ride lift up, traverse, hike-in. You skin up the opposite ridge (NE) that you hike up, so the runs on that side are the last to get chewed up..

This season is the last chance at Flute before the new Piccollo lift makes the pickins quite a bit easier. (not sure how I feel about it)

I took an avi course at Seymore and it looked like there was some decent BC there, but I think most people go to Diamond Head when looking for something close to Vancouver.

Quote:
Hoping to get out to some of the newb Whistler BC stuff next season.

This seasons not over yet! I'm planning on at least one more trip to Duffy lake... Let me know if you're intrested in a trip sometime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:53 pm 

if you guys want to come down to baker, i'll show you around. just pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:34 am 

Thanks for the info guys.

Clint, yeah I'll definitely be practicing my skinning up Flute bowl. I believe the other side of the inbounds Flute is the musical bumps? What's Duffy Lake like? I haven't even taken avy class yet, I'd like to keep my initial trips to very low risk terrain.

Jack,

I'd love to hit Baker. Everytime I'm there I just drool over the out of bounds terrain that's barely off the chairlift. I'll definitely hit you up some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:44 pm 

Quote:
I believe the other side of the inbounds Flute is the musical bumps?

Yeah. Picallo and flute are in the musical bumps, and the next one over is Oboe, and then singing pass. Check out some topo of the area: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~clint/flute-topo.pdf

Quote:
What's Duffy Lake like?

Pretty spectacular. I've only been to Wendy Thompson hut in Marriot baison. Its about a 3 hour ski-in to the hut, and theres lots of potential for yo-yoing and longer tours from the hut's door. Everything from super mellow to sick double cliff lines.

I just got back from two days at Wendy's hut last weekend. Its getting warm, and the snow is turning to mush in the afternoon, but there is some good corn in the morning. The ski-out probably won't last much longer though...

Jack,

I'm also intrested in Baker. How much longer will the season last?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:41 am 

Jack,

Where have you been riding in Baker?
Think things will still be rideable though May?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:29 pm 

clint wrote:
Hey badkarma,

I've also done many laps on Flute bowl when I can't find partners. This is a good, relativly safe place to practice your skinning, and its actually a bit faster to skin up than hike-out,ride lift up, traverse, hike-in. You skin up the opposite ridge (NE) that you hike up, so the runs on that side are the last to get chewed up..

Hey Clint,

Demoed a Prior 172 Swallowtail yesterday. Skinned up that area that you're talking about. We basically just right to the edge of the inbounds markers and bagged the fresh that was still there inbounds in flute. But we did get to the top of the skin track and had a great view of Oboe I think. We noticed the skin track we were on kept on going. Do you know what's on the other side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:26 pm 

skinjob wrote:
Jack,

Where have you been riding in Baker?
Think things will still be rideable though May?

Scott

hey, didnt see that post earlier...

..yeah, baker will be rideable through august 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:05 pm 

Is there anything at Cypress or Seymour? I've heard about Black Mountain @ Cypress? Anyone been there?

Nomad you mentioned Chilliwack, what's out that way?

Post subject: Vancouver Split boarders
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:00 pm 

Hey you all, anyone getting out lately? The avy conditions are pretty harry right now but I would be into some BC outings once things settle out a bit.

Cheers, Willy Nelson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 pm 

I'm in the Vancouver area and recently got a splitboard. I haven't taken an avy class yet(plan to in January), but I'd like to try some low risk stuff if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:28 pm 

I'm in Vancouver as well, and looking for people to go out into the backcountry with.