Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High sierras over presidents day weekend 2/18-20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:14 am 

Well, first off: as many of you already know, i'm a tresspasser here(i.e skier not a splitter). But as the late, great chris farley once said: "But what does a no tresspassing sign really mean when you're as drunk as I was :) ). Anyhow, in that spirit, here we go:

Was leaning towards bridgeport/twin lakes area... matterhorn, crater crest. etc, or further south... esha, basin. Really no solid plans right now, just some of the unlimited possibilities. Open to watteva depending on conditions. Depending on who goes, we might do a bunch of day tours or an overnighter.
I'm doing a 4 day gig, either 2/17-2/20 or 2/18-2/21. prolly figure it out on 2/16 :wink:

post here or PM me if interested.

cheers,

abe(AKA towelie)

Here's my day job: employee#69519, Just a cog in the system :( http://www.gethappy.com/watchmore.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:47 pm 

consider me interested.

Will only have 3 days off but would like to go somewhere that is kinda remote and ride some bigger terrain if conditions allow.

Looong drive for me so even though I really want to ride terrain south of Mammoth, I'd rather it be a little more north like around bridgeport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:51 pm 

Yeah, I'm interested too. PJ and I were talking about Pres.'s weekend a few days ago.

I saw a report that said the lower Horse Creek section could use a little more coverage down to Twin Lakes. That will hopefully be better after a few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:18 am 

PJ, Knucklesplitter,

I'll PM ya my info when we get closer to the date and i close with the other folks.
Yeah, i'm totally cool with staying farther north/bridgeport,etc. Main factor is to go where there's good conditions.

Cheers,
abe

Here's my day job: employee#69519, Just a cog in the system :( http://www.gethappy.com/watchmore.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:31 pm 

Feather Peak sounds good ;-) but the more northerly the better, I guess.

Depending on where the snow is, I have already explained to my wife that we're going to be climbing or skiing over that 3-day weekend... only question is which and where.

Matterhorn, Carson, or Red Slate could be very cool over that span of time. Red Slate in particular would be nice since it would enable the scoping out of Morrison, Little Morrison, etc. for me, which I didn't have time to accomplish this past weekend. I don't think I'd be up to ski the Red Slate Couloir but the NW couloir could certainly be a possibility. Some of the locals in Mammoth were suggesting Red Slate, and both Moynier and Richins describe it as a really cool trip.

I'll also have my skis (AT rig) all set by then, same boots for both setups so it's really just a question of how rolling the terrain is, whether I cross over to the dark side on a given weekend. You might have some company in the skiing contingent if you so desire.

The more I think about it, the more I want to go check out Red Slate. If you (plural) are interested then awesome, if not, I will take some pictures and maybe people will be interested in meeting up at Travertine afterward.

Post subject: *plot*
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:55 pm 

*cough*

Do you guys have room for one more? I might be able to rally the Santa Cruz split contingent, too..

-C :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:03 pm 

Doh! Consider me rallied...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:55 pm 

Update: I blew out my MCL this weekend, so I'm out until at least mid-March if not April.

However, the Mammoth Mountaineering guys all said that both couloirs were in good shape with plenty of snow to ski either. Plus Convict Lake is a rad location to camp. (The MMS guys said they always do it as a day trip, but these are the same type of guys as BCD, so... watch out for their "day trip" selections.)

Have a great tour if you go... I'll have to see what kind of shape it's in come April, but it looks fine for now, better if some of the predicted snow should fall on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Not much, just a dusting, but enough to grease up the hockey rink ;-)

Enjoy your weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 pm 

tempting... very tempting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:20 pm 

The weather is calling for snow starting wednesday...

any game plan established?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:06 pm 

I dont have much of a gameplan so far, but I think I fell in love with that picture... I'm certaily open to ideas, but my trip parameters are... 3-4 days, either daytrips or a basecamp somewhere.. maximizing turns would be good. Somewhere on the East side.. If it's a 4 day trip, I've gotta know soon to let the boss in on whether I'll be taking Friday or Tuesday.. Thoughts?

Thanks for the beta, ttriche, hope you have a speedy recovery on the knee.

Ack, just checked the weather report, too. Lee Vining gets snow from Fri-Monday... could make things more complicated.. Looks a bit lighter down in Mammoth..

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:27 am 

The weekend's weather is a very unpredictable pattern right now. It could track farther north or south, so don't bank on anything. The most certain thing is it will be cold. If it snows much at all the current surface (ice, surface sugar and/or depth hoar) could make things dicey avy-wise. A back-up plan or two would be advised.

I only have the two days, so I'm not sure if I will be in on any of this, but I may still try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:20 am 

Knucklesplitter, just PM'd ya.

We're watching the weather to see what's gonna happen. latest forcast below. If we get a huge dumpage, some of the funner stuff might not be safe. and if down south they don't get any snow, but it get's cold, it'll be an ice bowl.. depending on the weather, all options are open for me(sierras, tahoe, shasta/lassen), although i'm itchin' to get out of tahoe if i can...
If the weather totally misses down south and temps are reasonable, i'm kinda interrested in birch mountain. Red slate looks fun, all depends on the conditions.

Will mail you guys/pm you again tonight or tomorrow after I talk to Ed again.

cheers,
abe

.LONG TERM...FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY... PATTERN REMAINS VERY COLD AND UNSETTLED THROUGH THE WEEKEND INTO MONDAY. POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW IN THE SIERRA AND WESTERN VALLEYS EXISTS FOR SAT-SUN TIMEFRAME. AMOUNTS WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE EVENTUAL POSITION OF THE UPPER LOW OFF OF THE PACNW COAST AND THE RESULTANT FETCH OFF OF THE EASTERN PACIFIC.