Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chile & Argentina, ~10.08-10.09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:18 pm 

I am planing to tour around Chile & Argentina for a month, starting around 10th of August.
I want to hit 2-3 or may be 4 spots. Definitely with some touring, maybe some multi-day.

I am open to suggestions and shredding with somebody (:

Post subject: Re: Chile & Argentina, ~10.08-10.09
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:09 pm 

Send me some more info. I am looking to hit up chile this summer as well. I will be spending some time with GF but would like to get out and split as well. Let me know what you think, what your plans are as well and maybe we can come up with a plan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:11 pm 

Looking for your reply, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:33 pm 

Don't have much info myself yet.
I will too be going with the GF and she is only a casual resort rider. I did a month in Gulmarg in India alone this February and now I should take her on the next trip with me. So will be in similar situation - spending some time and then going out and splitting.
Two experienced backcountry skiers want to come as well, one is a regional head of the Bulgarian mountain rescue service.

I am in the process of making a list of the places to visit. Depends on the point of entry, which most probably would be Buenos Aires. I would like to switch places every week or so, but ok to wait out weather.

I am also open to suggestions for places to visit there (:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 am 

Ya Ivon!!! You defiantly want to shred Chile and Argentina! So i spent a couple months there a few years ago, and my biggest reccomendation is to have a loose agenda. I found that if your resort riding, or even backcountry. You want to be behind storms. Cause it takes forever for them to open up the lifts after a heavy storm. So if you arrive a couple days after, you will more than likely get bluebird and pow! For riding, i was mostly in the Patagonia and I reccomend Termas de Chilian (maybe a different name now, forgot when they changed) Pucon, their both in Chile. and than San Martin (Chapelco) and La Hoya in Esquel. Rad places and ya so many sweet zones. and i think you can do some sweet hut trips around Osorno... I would do more research on that. but ya epic place. and eat tons of beef in argentina!!! i'l let you know if i visit!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm 

Hey Wigle! Thanks for the info. Are you having a blast in BC? I am stuck between London and Berlin. Flatland...

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
You want to be behind storms. Cause it takes forever for them to open up the lifts after a heavy storm.

Reminds of a certain place, doesn't it? :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm 

Hey man I spent time in Chile last summer, August 1 through the 30th is the best time to be there. I spent all of my time in Nevados de Chillan (was Termes de Chillan), just outside of Las Trancas. Powder for days when touring because no one hikes out there. I have a friend who went to Pucon, said it was cool but snow wasn't as good.

Have another friend who went to Las Lenas but hit it too late but said the potential out there is incredible. Tons of couloirs from the refugio out there.

If you haven't gotten it yet, check out the book from Frederic. http://www.belupress.com/en/index.html.

I'd love to go back but to Argentina, specifically Bariloche and Las Lenas. Anyway, hope this helps, have a good time down there!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:00 pm 

i also spent a week last summer at nevados de chillan and second everyone else's recommendation. powder for days long after a storm. no crowds. will hopefully be back the first week of august again this year. keep us posted on your plans. i really want to hit las lenas, but chile is just simply easier to get to, and i'm limited on time.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:08 am 

I'm planning Argentina or Chile sometime around Aug 23rd - Sep 6th. Most info online seems sparse and half written in spanglish so I'm having some trouble nailing down specifics. It seems like a lot of resorts only offer "ski week," an all inclusive week of lodging, food and riding. I would prefer a flexible schedule that could accommodate some resort, touring and maybe cat (if the price is right). I'll also be with the GF. RIght now we're leaning toward Las Lenas, Argentina.

Here's some links I've found helpful:
http://www.onthesnow.com/south-america/map.html
http://www.endlessturns.com/resort-pack ... -packages/
http://unofficialnetworks.com/top-10-re ... ica-35552/
http://unofficialnetworks.com/ski-santiago-chile-36934/

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:16 am 

If you fly into Buenos Aires, here's charter flight info from there to Las Lenas. I don't know price yet.
- Departing flight leaves Buenos Aires at 6:30 AM on Saturday, August 30; arrives in Malargue at 8:40 AM
- Return flight departs Malargue at 9:20 AM on Saturday, September 6; arrives in Buenos Aires at 11 AM

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:40 pm 

Great info, thank you! Onthesnow has very little actual info, but the map overview is helpful.
Where did you get the info for the charter? I hope that I will find a third partner and renting a car/van will be a cheaper option.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:56 pm 

Finally booked my flight. Landing in Buenos Aires 13th in the morning, leaving 14th September in the evening. Still don't have an itinerary, but probably will head down to Las Lenas, then Bariloche and start working our way up afterwards. May be crossing into Chile for some volcanic fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 pm 

I might be heading to SA late sept/early oct, depending on conditions. While probably much more expensive, that late in the season I think Tiera Del Fuego would be my best bet?

planning a trip to bariloche- http://cairnpublishing.com/author/tripr ... anning.htm

TGR forum info consolidation-
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... ost3652579