Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mexico?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:34 pm 

Who's splitting in the 'Land of Enchantment'?

I'll be visiting family in Santa Fe in January and would love to hook up for a split, and or just receive any advice anyone on here might like to share...

Must ride spots?

Other must-do/ see things?

...I'm not sure if I'll bring the split (HEAVY BAG FEES- already two boards...) but I'll probably HAVE TO!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Post subject: Re: New Mexico?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 am 

earthsurfing wrote:
Who's splitting in the 'Land of Enchantment'?

I'll be visiting family in Santa Fe in January and would love to hook up for a split, and or just receive any advice anyone on here might like to share...

Must ride spots?

Other must-do/ see things?

...I'm not sure if I'll bring the split (HEAVY BAG FEES- already two boards...) but I'll probably HAVE TO!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Just take the bindings off and stack the boards inside the bag. I've never had a problem bringing both.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 pm 

No problem fitting them- used to put the race board, 181, and 4-5 freestyle decks in my bag for southern hemi summers....

But, this kind of thing is what I'm talking about-

http://beach.orangecounty.com/2010/11/1 ... rds/30192/

Two boards (maybe 3?), two pairs bindings... baggage overage headaches.

Things ain't the same as they used to be...

But, I'm pretty sure I'm bringing the split.

Anyway-

Who's riding in the Land of Enchantment?

May get up to Wolf Creek, too

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 am 

Buenos dias Earthsurfing, I live in Santa Fe, and there is definately some goodness around here to get after. This year is an extrememly low snow year however and nothing is really skiable at all right now...bummed. Maybe later in the year. Southern Colorado is doing alot better though, and it may pick up around here. Sometimes does that after a slow start. Anyhow, Im heading up too Wyoming in a couple days. Hope you have a nice visit. -Jacob. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 am 

Hey-

Thanks. I've been havin fun and doing alittle hiking... Haven't skinned anywhere yet. En route to wolf creek right now.

Hopefully I'll get out onthe split.

Paix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 am 

I'll be in Albuquerque in two weeks for work and was thinking of possibly tagging on a few days in the area after. Is there any splitting in the area? I looked up Sandia Peak and it looks like snow depth is a super low tide. Tram access from near town seems novel though. Is the snowpack better up north toward Santa Fe or further up? Any info appreciated. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 pm 

Revived the thread, yeah! :bananas:
I'm near Santa Fe, we're having a crap snow year so I've been riding Southern CO for the most part. From ABQ you're less than 4 hours to Wolf Creek which has probably the best conditions you're going to find at the moment. I do have a skier friend who has been touring the side/backcountry around Taos and Wheeler peak, I could put you in touch with him if you wanted to check out that area. I've also been trying to get out with him near Santa Fe/Tesuque peak area this season but it hasn't happened yet. Send me a PM if you want contact info...
here's a little more beta as well, northern new mexico avalanche info exchange:
http://www.nnmae.org/phpbb3/index.php
Santa Fe area backcountry skiing info:
http://www.sdcmountainworks.com/winter/backcountry.php

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm 

Thanks for the response and links chrishami! The pics of the huge surface and depth hoar crystals are amazing, just something I don't see often in the PNW, and certainly not of that size. Yea, looks like you are in need of some snow after looking at the resort reports also, and the warm/ wet weather sounds like it's not helping. Thinking I might be looking some other activity options instead short of a change in the next 2 weeks. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 am 

So I moved to ABQ a little over a month ago. Really stoked to be down here for the next couple winters. I'm really excited to ride around Northern NM as well as get up to Southern CO some.

Very stoked to do some splitting around the Santa Fe area and further North, but I was wondering where (if anywhere) the NM locals get their season passes too. @ $1000 the Taos pass seems pretty steep. Angel Fire seems like they have a good deal @ $399 as well as the Silverton unguided pass @ 199. Any input from potential NM splitty partners would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:00 pm 

efaville wrote:
So I moved to ABQ a little over a month ago. Really stoked to be down here for the next couple winters. I'm really excited to ride around Northern NM as well as get up to Southern CO some.

Very stoked to do some splitting around the Santa Fe area and further North, but I was wondering where (if anywhere) the NM locals get their season passes too. @ $1000 the Taos pass seems pretty steep. Angel Fire seems like they have a good deal @ $399 as well as the Silverton unguided pass @ 199. Any input from potential NM splitty partners would be great.

Welcome to the area... not a bad place to be located. I mostly ride at Pajarito Mountain (hometown hill) with my family and skin up on weekdays. There an adult pass is $399. I also ride a lot at Wolf Creek. I got a pass there last season for the first time and will do it again this year even though they bumped up the price to $624 and there are no share days anyplace else. WC has the longest season around here, they normally open the first weekend in November and go through early April. Some excellent sidecountry and BC riding on WC pass.

I also usually get a Taos Card, which is a discount card that gives you direct to lift access and $15 off lift tickets. It costs 20 bucks I think so it's worth it if you ride there more than a couple of days. Last season I only had 1 in bounds day at Taos but was hiking Kachina peak for about 3 weeks after they closed and got some great late April powder turns. You could do the Millennium pass, $600 bucks but blacked out over Christmas and limited to 70 days. You probably dont want to be up there over Christmas anyway, it's littered with Texans. Taos has excellent terrain for sure, and I'm dying to get out into the Wheeler Peak wilderness for more BC riding.

In my opinion, Angel Fire is a beginners hill, it's crawling with families from Texas every weekend, all winter long. I haven't been in a few years, and if I go back it will only be with the family although at this point I think even my 6 year old might be bored with their terrain. Santa Fe has better terrain than AF but it also has the crowds. There is some good backcountry riding in that area though which I've not yet sampled. On that, here's a link to a defunct Santa Fe ski shop's website which has some beta:
http://www.sdcmountainworks.com/winter/backcountry.php
Never been to Sandia Peak, heard there isn't any worthy terrain though, there's also Sipapu which is a very small family oriented hill.
What part of town are you in? My main riding partner is a skier from Albuquerque, he lives in the Northeast Heights. Depending on where you start from, driving ABQ to Taos will be less than 3 hours, to Wolf Creek a bit under 4. To Durango add an hour, Silverton add another hour more. Each of the last 2 years I've made one trip to Silverton, for the Splitfest in April but I'm looking to get up there more this winter.
When the snow flies let's get together. I'm looking to get after some bigger terrain this year...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 am 

I am a Santa Fe Local and a Snowboard Instructor at Ski Santa Fe. Just bought a K2 Panoramic that I'm looking forward to trying. By the time you are in town I should be ok at splitboarding. Let me know how to contact you and when.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 am 

Do you know any of the Morris's?

(Santa Fe Stone)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 am 

I am John Bacon. I worked for Bill Gould and Mark Hickman at Ski Santa Fe. I'm not sure which Morris you are referring to. I may know them by their first name or recognize them from up on the hill but not via SF Stone.