Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wasatch local's
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 am 

Looking for partner's to make some turn's : ) Drop a message or call!

Best
Gary Begley
www.garybegleysports.com
http://vimeo.com/user518249/videos

Post subject: Re: wasatch local's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 am 

Hey man I would be up for getting some turns with you. I am unable to the next two weeks but I am down the rest of the season. I normally stay in BCC or LCC and haven't ventured much out of either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 am 

Sounds good! Drop a line when your free.
Best
Gary Begley
www.garybegleysports.com
818 967 7594

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm 

I don't mean to threadjack.... But rather than start another thread here goes...

Last night at Salt Lake Surf shop a handful of us lingered to talk. One topic revolved around putting together some group tour days throughout the winter (similar in structure to the many Split-Fests).
Basically a date and time would be set-up to meet at a trailhead, a few people would be designated as leaders for the day and we'd split into groups, each with different objectives (Ex: Easy, expert, etc..)
While I'm always reluctant to encourage more traffic in the Wasatch, I think this is a good opportunity to find partners suited to ones goals and abilities, exchange ideas and help influence local splitboard innovation.

So with that I'd be interested to know what kind of touring you like and your experience level.

I'll start... Please take this as an honest assessment of what I like to do, not an indictment of what other like to do.
Just as knowing the avy conditions is important, I think its crucial to understand potential partners goals, motivations and limitations.

...I'm 46 and fit enough for an all day tri-canyon effort should I choose to do it.
...Not that it translates to any measurable skill set, but I've been riding since forever.
...I have avy level 1 and I have little interest in risk taking.
...That said I occasionally lap super low angle stuff without my avy gear.
...I run ultras and enjoy the mountains, so touring and exploring for hours with minimal riding is actually fun to me.
...Conversely, I can lap low angle powder all day and not get the least bit bored.
...Lots of climbing and 'no fall' lines hold almost no interest for me. But I'll gladly play cameraman, or be there for safety if there are mellow adjacent lines I can ride.
...I like to turn, I don't have much interest in hop turns. (Again I don't mind being there for support and the exploration factor)
...If I'm lapping trees or planning an all day tour I like it to be social and not rushed. (If I need to train or haul ass, I'll go solo or enter an ultra)
...Where some enjoy gnarly or bucket list type lines... I like wierd, out of the way and aesthetic pleasing lines. Often times these are a pain to get to and have zero gnar factor. I embrace solitude (not the resort)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm 

Kali Spliter on his way to Canuck splitfest looking for partners on Mon. Jan. 2nd in the Rubies and Tue. Jan. 3rd in the Wasatch. I have been touring in the Rubies and have some good ideas. I have never toured in the Wasatch and any local advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18 am 

swanny wrote:
Kali Spliter on his way to Canuck splitfest looking for partners on Mon. Jan. 2nd in the Rubies and Tue. Jan. 3rd in the Wasatch. I have been touring in the Rubies and have some good ideas. I have never toured in the Wasatch and any local advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like one hell of a road trip Swanny...good times :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:56 pm 

swanny: I work on Tuesday, but I will for sure see you at the split fest :headbang: Hopefully someone will show you around. You can also just go to any trail head and ask to hook up with someone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:16 pm 

Hey Snurfer,

Has there been any updates on the group tours that you mentioned in this thread? I'm assuming the lack of snow has put a damper on the plan but if/when it gets back to winter, I'm definitely interested in meeting up with other splitters in the Wasatch for some fun tours. I'm with you on the mellow powder turns and spending all day touring just for the sake of enjoying the mountains, the uphill, and not being rushed. But with that said, I'm also down to go straight and fast through powder. I have my avy 1 too. Let me know if anything shakes out with the group or if you ever wanna catch some turns.

-James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm 

snurfer, jroh, snowvols, etc.

Just saw this thread, and wanted to throw my name in the mix too. I've still got contact info for you guys, and definitely trying to make an effort to get out with more/new people this year. Actually, this last week has been great... got out with three new people, and stoked to get out with more. (Although, as I say this, work is calling me back to the Tetons soon, and I'll be gone for 20-ish days.)

Stay in touch, and I'll be in touch! Cheers!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm 

KR,

Sounds good! I've still got your info too but haven't been out since mid-December. I found a thinly buried rock with my board and smacked my melon on a big boulder. I had a helmet on so it was fine but the the thin snowpack kinda spooked me. Anyways, let's tour when you get back from the Tetons. Hopefully it'll be deeper and more stable by then. Wasatch snow forecast is feeling optimistic for the future so let's hope they're on to something. http://wasatchsnowforecast.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm 

JRoh wrote:
I found a thinly buried rock with my board and smacked my melon on a big boulder. I had a helmet on so it was fine

Hmmm... lately there's lots of signs telling me to where a helmet in the bc, and here's another. :scratch:

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm 

Indeed, I'm still very much interested in touring with anyone wanting to get out for some non-technical days...
Right now I'm thinking late February/March... I don't think anything that happens near term in the weather would equate to conditions I'd want to ride... (Hope I'm very wrong)
I'm still interested in exploring and beacon drills, etc... but the approaches and exits are currently not something I want to deal with...

In other words... See ya'll in the spring :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:10 pm 

No lie snurfer. Wanna trail run one of these days? Thinking of getting into it and heck no better time that the present you know?