Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Rose wilderness/Tahoe Saturdays/holidays
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:37 pm 

This is the first year in 8 that I am forgoing a pass, I've a wedding to fund in the spring and a gut to squeeze into my tux. So, I figured this should be the winter I ride wherever my legs can take me. Im pretty darned slow uphill and suck at kickturns. I refuel with a cocktail at the top and like to smell the roses along the way. I've a big black dog that I like to take with me, but even though I've not taken an avy I class, Im looking into it and have spent several days burying, digging and learning my beacon and have sat through the free classes at squaw on more than 1 occasion. I've had my split for the last 2 seasons but motivation gets sparse once alpine gets in full swing. Ive been up and down hourglass, brokenglass, mt rose proper, and a bunch of spots there I don't know the names of. so... I'm slow but motivated, I wanna have a good time without taking it too seriously. Anyone else up for that? :guinness:

Post subject: Re: Mt. Rose wilderness/Tahoe Saturdays/holidays
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 pm 

I am up there often on weekends. Not as much as in the past due to a new business, but will get out more this season, despite my Mt.Rose pass and a 70+hour workweek. I am old, slow, and my black lab climbs on 3 legs now. Both of us have taken rides in small avy's so don't look to me for advise on that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 am 

I would be interested in meeting up as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 am 

Sweet! Im very 4 legged friend friendly! I was chaffed that work had me in vegas for the early october snowfall, and went n hiked mt rose 2 weeks ago to realize just how out of shape i am right now! I guess I officially said no to a season pass this year, as the rose deal came n went, although the alpine/squaw deal goes till the end of november, but... thats ok. my board is on the bench right now, i ptex a little more of it each day waiting for good news on the weather, and I am dying to get out and put some core shots into it early season! Im also very willing to explore other spots too, I took 2 trips out to negro canyon near donner lake but without decent knowledge of the area it didnt seem too smart, just my pup and i. So i am 100% up to go as soon as theres some sparse coverage, hope you guys are too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:39 pm 

Hi folks - I'm in San Francisco and am up in Tahoe every weekend over the winter (with the exception of crazy-holiday times). Starting splitboarding last year and have avy level 1. Keen to meet up with anyone else to head out on Saturday and Sunday day hikes (my partner from last season moved to Kentucky!!).

Cheers,