Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vancouver/Whistler/Pemby/Lillooet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
thx wilkez,

with another dryspell instore for CA, we are STOKED to be going to BC.

I'm sure we'll check out the slack country, but only plan on buying two days of lift tickets. We want about 4 days of pure backcountry. looks like we will need a car to get to bc areas away from the resorts. trying to pull it off without renting a car.

sooooo, I'm humbling asking any whistler splitters if they want to play tour guide and taxi for us. We'll buy ya food and :guinness: .

If you're interested in someone to show you around on your "in" resort days, I might be able to get one of the days off to come up and show you around the lifts, point you towards the steep stuff & away from the crowded groomers (doubt there will be much untracked powder inbounds on the 31st or 1st though).

Or if you guys already know the resort well enough, but are just looking for someone new to ride with I might still see if I can make the trip up on the 31st... (I'm always looking for folks to ride with these days, as 1 of my riding buddies started his own business, another started a new job and 2 others moved back to Germany...)

But if you would prefer to explore the resort on your own that's cool too. (I'm not 100% if I can get the day off anyway, since I'm already taking Thur off to go to Baker.)

I don't have a car though... So I can't really help you with your actual request of "back country tour guide & taxi"... However, I will consider lending you my copy of "Ski Touring The Coast Mountains" by John Baldwin if you promise to either A) return it to me when you pass back through downtown Vancouver on your way home on the 7th or; B) mail it back to me or; C) If we do meet up "in" resort at Whistler you can just check it out that day and take some pictures of the pages with the tours you are interested it (I don't have any of his maps though).

-hps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 pm 

backcountry pass - hmmmmm. :P :thumpsup:

Hp- thx. i'll pm ya.

we may end up with a car after all. wanted to take the snowbus but with only 2 trips per day, we'd be sitting at the airport for 3-4 hours waiting. the other bus services are expensive.

:headbang:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm 

Does anyone want to get out this weekend? I’m looking for partners... I’ve got avi gear and training, 5 seasons on the splitboard, and a car. I'm thinking it's a good time to approach the terrain cautiously. Please let me know if you’re interested to get out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:03 am 

It's looking like my work schedule is more forgiving than most of my touring buddies this season, so I'm always looking for mid-week options on the good days. For this weekend, I can't do tomorrow, but will be in Squamish tomorrow night, and would like to get out on Sunday.

Conservative tree/glade skiing is no problem with me when it's snowed 1.5 metres in back-to-back(-to-back? I've lost count now) storm cycles. And in conditions like this, musical bumps is always a good safe option.

I am blessed with a reliable winterized vehicle, so if you Cali boys are looking for a trip up in the Duffey, let me know your plans. We can make a mission to siphon all the gas from Wilkez's RV so he has to suffer without his genny for a night to pay him back for posting all those ridiculous vids. :nononno:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:01 pm 

joneseybones wrote:
I am blessed with a reliable winterized vehicle, so if you Cali boys are looking for a trip up in the Duffey, let me know your plans. We can make a mission to siphon all the gas from Wilkez's RV so he has to suffer without his genny for a night to pay him back for posting all those ridiculous vids. :nononno:

Haha the RV has left the webcam on the Duffey,went up today and it was a gong show,no parking anywhere on the road,people digging out the snowbank just to park,lucky we rode all week through the storms.
It's actually quite bomber despite all the snow,we dug pits throughout the week with no major results,yesterday we had size 0.5 windslabs as there has been a bunch of windloading going on.
The deeper layers from the low density snow 2 weeks ago has strengthened already.
Obviously the Alpine is High right now,but since it's socked in24/7 anyway,so tree riding is where it's at.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 am 

joneseybones wrote:
For this weekend, I can't do tomorrow, but will be in Squamish tomorrow night, and would like to get out on Sunday.

Conservative tree/glade skiing is no problem with me when it's snowed 1.5 meters in back-to-back(-to-back? I've lost count now) storm cycles. And in conditions like this, musical bumps is always a good safe option.

Hey, I didn't see that in time. I headed out on Friday evening, rode on Saturday and got back late... it was pretty decent up there. I heard it wasn't too bad at Whistler on Sunday, I hope you got some fun runs in. another time!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm 

Hey hp - sorry i didn't get in touch with you. I'll email ya. did ya get out.

we rode in bounds today, but plan on getting out on the splitties next two days from the resort, then probably duffy or somewhere through monday.

i'm also looking for :mrgreen: :doobie: . please help. we're in the village.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:58 am 

I made a separate thread but will post here as well.

We're a group of friends coming from NY. 1 splitboard and 2 tour skiers with avi equipment (Marmot beacons) and the others not too interested. We'll be in Mt. Baker Saturday and Sunday and then off to Whistler staying there Monday-Sunday.

If anyone is up to showing stuff to us that would be great... sidecountry or even stuff with exits outside the resort would work (hike back).

It's my first splitboard but i love hiking so would prefer somewhat gentle intro :)))))))

Thanks
David.