Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:52 pm 

Yes, three of us went on a summit attempt two weeks ago. You have to use the alternate trail which pretty much further than the normal route. I think it's between 15 to 18 miles. A little bit of advice, prepare to climb and hump over downed trees and cross several creeks. You don't have to do any bushwhacking. You're traveling through a burnt forest. Unless you can find a shortcut to the snow, you will have to hike. The forest service page description of the alternate route is a bit off. You can drive all the way to the Snipes Mountain trailhead. I would highly suggest driving further down on RD 150 and hike the game trail. If not, it's a 2.5 mile hike. You're suppose to find another trail, but you will be fine as long as you travel next to the lava flow. At some point, you will have to gain elevation on to the lava flow in order to skin up Suksdorf Ridge. I would add some extra days to your trip if you plan to hit the SW Chutes (unless you're a beast). The SW Chutes are bit out of the way from the alternate route. Good Luck.

Oh, the best part is you are not required to pay for permits until June 1st.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

christoph benells wrote:

Thx Chris. Good to get some beta from the loc's:

b) drive past the snipe trail and go to the end of the 150 rd this puts you at ~4500ft, well above the snipe trailhead and avoids the disaster that is the lower portion of snipe trail. Go up the game trail/now beaten path than parallels the creek, cross the creek ~1/2-3/4 mile up, plenty of downed trees to use, and you will be on the snipe trail at the junction with pineway trail. Car to skiable snow is ~1.6 miles as of 5/18. And yes the traverse from the SW chutes is looooooooong.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm 

You should be able to find that trail. I think it's marked up with snowmobile tracks in the mud. You might have to hike a little before switching over, but no where near the amount the trailhead.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:38 pm 

I'm heading up to Hood tomorrow morning... hoping to get an early start and leave SE PDX by 7am or earlier. I'm thinking that hiking from Meadows towards the top of the Cascade chair and then (weather permitting) towards the Wyeast face. I'm thinking that this may be the best split option tomorrow given that rain may arrive in the early afternoon.

Any interest? Just a solo trip so far. I'm driving a sube outback and will provide post split refreshments (PBR). Send me a PM or post back. I'm definitely open to other options as well.

Cameron

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 am 

Today isn't the first time I've been overly optimistic about the weather... Thursday?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 pm 

This week was sick! Freezing level's supposedly staying below 9K... We shall See! I hope these were not the last pow turns of the year. Check the video section if interested.

RE: Adam's- It's not that bad. Just be prepared to go big with the current alternate route. The word around hood river at the moment is the south route has been assessed and is set to open sometime in June or July.

Think Cold.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm 

Just got back from Central OR and it's hittin. Good coverage. We rode within 1/4 mile of the highway from South Sister. Get it while the gettin is good! Glad y'all got some pow up on Hood as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm 

Anyone interested in heading up to Mt Hood tomorrow morning? I'm taking the day off work and hoping to find some good riding conditions. I'm open to location... but so far I'm considering Zig Zag, Meadows (skin from the parking lot) and the North side/Snow Dome/Cooper Spur... I'm open to other suggestions. I'm planning on driving and will supply post split refreshments. Leaving from close in PDX around 7-8 (or earlier if headed to North side).

Cameron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:16 am 

Mt Adams South Climb Access is open

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5172538

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm 

Mt Adams is still good, just rode it yesterday. We were able to ride within about 1/2 mile of the car. Yeah there's some dirt and pollen on the snow on the lower sections, but hey it's June whaddya want.

It got colder overnight than we expected, so were able to watch it soften till it was just right.

The riding was awesome, much better than I expected for how warm it's been.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 am 

Hit Adams on Thursday. Unfortunately the south and west sides are done, if you are looking to have fun snowboarding. It was sun cupped to death. Still a beautiful day in the mountains though.

more pictures here
http://shredor.blogspot.com/2013/07/718 ... hutes.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:55 pm 

Hey Portland chillers- new to backcountry around here, but I've been splitting for a year and snowshoeing for several years before, mostly in the Washington cascades. Snows falling and I'm getting stoked, looking to meet some splitboardsplitboard in the area and explore hood. Avi 1, pretty into safety, and got all necessary gear.

Let me know if anybody is getting out there, I'd love to join!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm 

q-tip wrote:
Hey Portland chillers- new to backcountry around here, but I've been splitting for a year and snowshoeing for several years before, mostly in the Washington cascades. Snows falling and I'm getting stoked, looking to meet some splitboardsplitboard in the area and explore hood. Avi 1, pretty into safety, and got all necessary gear.

Let me know if anybody is getting out there, I'd love to join!

Welcome q-tip. I've been heading up from close in PDX almost weekly since October 3rd. Typically I head up on the weekend, but I will tour on "select" weekdays if conditions align. The split community in Portland is pretty small and I "kinda" know many of those who head to the mtn on regular basis. What does your recreational schedule allow for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next