Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am 

I agree, I doubt TJ has much snow if any left on the approach. I've been out trying to learn zones in hopes of having stuff pretty dialed when it does fly. I checked out Newton yesterday, very enjoyable day. Defiantly could use some more snow for the runout of heather.

I have monday, tuesday's off and don't work till 3 the rest of the week. It would be great to try to get out with some peeps.

Scenery...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm 

Hey all,

I'm seeing if there's any fellow lunar-tics, that want to go on a pre-dawn patrol. Saturday @ 5:30 am the show begins; full moon, total eclipse, with orange/red outline @ 6:30 am. I'm open to destination, as long as I get above tree line for the show. Probably Hood, but would consider Helens if anyones up for a bar time start.

Let me know if interested, and I'll see you on the dark side.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 am 

chronicracing wrote:
Hey all,

I'm seeing if there's any fellow lunar-tics, that want to go on a pre-dawn patrol. Saturday @ 5:30 am the show begins; full moon, total eclipse, with orange/red outline @ 6:30 am. I'm open to destination, as long as I get above tree line for the show. Probably Hood, but would consider Helens if anyones up for a bar time start.

Let me know if interested, and I'll see you on the dark side.

Mike

Would love to but am gonna be out of town this weekend. Made other plans due to lack of snow... sounds amazing with the eclipse tho. Have fun out there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm 

Is the eclipse going to be in the Eastern or Western sky?

If it's in the East, I'm going to head up and camp along the Cooper Spur and check it out......should be easy hiking and unfortunately not much snow.

Suggestions on good places to view it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm 

The eclipse will occur when the full moon is on the horizon, in the west, northwest.

Illumination saddle, or Mt. St Helen's summit would be all right. As long as the sky's clear enough, and the high freezing level keeps things somewhat soft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 pm 

Temps are suppose to shoot into the 40's on friday and dropped down to the 30's on saturday. Sounds like there's going to be a sheet of ice on the top layer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:37 am 

Sheet of ice is a possibility. Freezing level 10,000 Fri night, 8500' @ time of eclipse; and dropping down to 4000' by 4pm. Sounds like great climbing conditions, decent could definately be iffy. Depends on a lot of variables.

Patrick, if no one else is interested in the adventure. I would settle for watching the eclipse from a turn-out on the west side of Hood. Then proceed over to Newton, to see what we can find.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm 

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7995576

Here's a link to a newly constructed snow cave on the saddle.

Could be nice accommodations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm 

Has anyone done the MountainSavvy Level 1 class? I'm signed up for the January 21-22 session. Not sure if anyone else is signed up for that particular session. I'm assuming some folks here have gone through the program too.

Is there anything to do to help make the most of my time in the class? I have the Bruce Tremper book and have read it pretty thoroughly. Other than that, just some basic knowledge gained from touring with some buddies who have taken the class.

Finally, is the third day for $100 worth it? I guess you get an additional certification, which, seems like I might as well go ahead and do it, plus get an extra day playing in the snow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:57 pm 

Man ive been crazy busy mounting and waxing skis for the last month. haven't had much time to be on here.
went up on nov. 30th with some other ski techs from a rival shop
headed into newton and had fun crossin creeks, not so much in the riding dept. as we had an alpine start at 9:30 from portland.
but i did get in a good day of climbing and riding dec 1st.
we got all up in there.
riding was good windpack with slalom gates made by windstripped ice patches. had some fun waves down in the canyons. was kicking myself for not bring ice axe and crampons as a descent off the summit looked fully smooth, soft and possible.

i have never been on bluegrass ridge but i have noticed it on the maps. looks steep enough. my concern is overgrown forest chokin up my surf time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 pm 

Mushi wrote:
Has anyone done the MountainSavvy Level 1 class? I'm signed up for the January 21-22 session. Not sure if anyone else is signed up for that particular session. I'm assuming some folks here have gone through the program too.

Is there anything to do to help make the most of my time in the class? I have the Bruce Tremper book and have read it pretty thoroughly. Other than that, just some basic knowledge gained from touring with some buddies who have taken the class.

Finally, is the third day for $100 worth it? I guess you get an additional certification, which, seems like I might as well go ahead and do it, plus get an extra day playing in the snow.

Ceritification is overrated. I paid $170 for a 3 day avy course at Mt Baker, which was taught by the same guy who does avalanche control for the resorts for over 7 years. He was saying althought you can gain some great knowledge from the cert classes, you are pretty much covering the cost for each aai certified instructor involved in the course. Certification is only good if you plan on getting into the business such as guide service. I received just as good of a course as the folks who shell out over $300. I'm not too familiar with the course you are planning to take, but I know the folks at Mt bakers had a wealth of knowledge and were willing to spend time explaining snow pits, terrain analysis, and rescue scenarios.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:23 pm 

In regards to the Eclipse, what is going to be some solid camping to view it? Right now, some of us are thinking of hiking to or car camping with a view, mainly cause the lack of snow, but also the party factor.

Does anyone have any good ideas that are vantage points/camping spots around Lolo Pass, Mt. Hood area, etc.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 am 

Re: Certification - I'm not planning on guiding any trips, but on the flip side, I'm not aware of any other avalanche courses offered in the Portland area. I probably wouldn't drive much further than Mt. Hood, but if other people have alternatives that are just as good and much cheaper, I'm all ears.

For reference, the Mt. Savvy class is $235 for two days, one day in-class and one day in-field, with an optional 3rd day for $100 another level 1 certification (I think its AIARE). Not sure what the field time is on the third day that differentiates between the two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next