Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:37 pm 

Nice. What elevation does the route get to? I'm thinking this weekend is pretty much shot due to the lack of new snow... and there isn't any new on the horizon. :cry:

However, it's good news for avy conditions according to NWAC...

Hopefully there will be some new snow in the coming weeks and we can get it on!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Nice. What elevation does the route get to? I'm thinking this weekend is pretty much shot due to the lack of new snow... and there isn't any new on the horizon. :cry:

However, it's good news for avy conditions according to NWAC...

Hopefully there will be some new snow in the coming weeks and we can get it on!

Hey I think there might could be some snow coming next week :bananas: Bout time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Nice. What elevation does the route get to?

The trail is 3 miles and 2 hours. You get up to about 5800ft. From the author's perspective, it sounds like a spring time tour. He said the area doesn't get that much snow coverage. By the way, how did the baseplates work out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:13 pm 

Whoa! This thread got huge. I'm in NoPo and down for splitting anytime. As in my weeks are wide open.

I bought my first split board 10 years ago in VT, but haven't gotten out as much in a decade as I'd liked to. Did a bunch in UT a few years back, but then moved back east. Came out here and didn't have much of a crew anymore. So now I'm up for checking out any spots on Hood, because I haven't split at many of them.

Just made some turns on Mt. Bailey. Decent snow coverage so far.

Tilly Jane shelter is awesome. Keep me posted on any trips up there. I finally made it up there last year during the super moon, and it was amazing. Foot of fresh, clear skies & a full moon!

I bought a Timberline midweek pass this year for $229. Too cheap to pass up on, and it goes until the end of May. Hopefully I'll be able to ride from the top of Palmer to Govy, and repeat. They're still available, for $289, if anyone's interested. I finally put together an alpine board setup, so that'll keep me entertained if the snow's crappy.

Tuned in to this thread and will follow closely. Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 pm 

November 2011 Mt. Bailey Stoke:

Thielsen from Bailey:

Avalanche Bowl on Bailey:

Shredding it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:50 am 

nwboarder82 wrote:
By the way, how did the baseplates work out?

I couldn't get them to work, so I caved and bought Burners. :doobie:

Chris, I love your ruthless optimism!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am 

[quote="mofoco"]November 2011 Mt. Bailey Stoke:

Thielsen from Bailey:
Imagequote]

HOLY CRAP that face on Thielsen looks awesome. Anyone done that? How hard is it to access?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am 

I climbed Thielsen in August. The Pacific Crest Trail runs left-right (North-South) through the picture. That giant NW face below the peak runs right down to the PCT. There were turns linking up a couple patches in August.

I think it'd be great to climb Thielsen in the spring, and then ride the SW face/W ridge down. You could likely ride to the parking lot. That part of the hike sucked, as it was classic cascade scree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:59 am 

mofoco wrote:
I climbed Thielsen in August. The Pacific Crest Trail runs left-right (North-South) through the picture. That giant NW face below the peak runs right down to the PCT. There were turns linking up a couple patches in August.

I think it'd be great to climb Thielsen in the spring, and then ride the SW face/W ridge down. You could likely ride to the parking lot. That part of the hike sucked, as it was classic cascade scree.

K, K... scree slopes ain't so bad, pikas sound hilarious! LMK if you head back, I'd love to hit that with someone who knows the route. And that avalanche bowl on Bailey looks great too, but I'm sure they don't call it that for nothing...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:22 pm 

What's going on, PDXers! I drove down from Seattle today to find a place to live down here. Drove over the bridge into Oregon, had a little anxiety attack(like, what the fuck am I doing?), then I spotted Mt Hood and that calmed me down a bit.

Hanging out in a hotel room in NW Portland watching the Seahawks and tomorrow through the weekend I'm going to pound the pavement and find a place to call home., or a place to dry my gear. I can't be wasting my weekends talking leases.

Looking forward to getting out there. I haven't been on a split since July and I'm going through major withdrawals.

Looking forward to breaking trail with you guys.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 am 

imitationfunk wrote:
What's going on, PDXers! I drove down from Seattle today to find a place to live down here. Drove over the bridge into Oregon, had a little anxiety attack(like, what the fuck am I doing?), then I spotted Mt Hood and that calmed me down a bit.

Hanging out in a hotel room in NW Portland watching the Seahawks and tomorrow through the weekend I'm going to pound the pavement and find a place to call home., or a place to dry my gear. I can't be wasting my weekends talking leases.

Looking forward to getting out there. I haven't been on a split since July and I'm going through major withdrawals.

Looking forward to breaking trail with you guys.

Mark

What's up Mark, welcome to the fray. Don't worry you'll love pdx. I'm from Seattle too, been down here for 2 years and I have to work up in Renton/Seattle about once a month. Every time I get up there it drives me nuts and I can't wait to get back home. We are all sitting here going crazy waiting for more snow crying into our beers, so right now is a good time to spend your weekends on finding housing. I'm sure we'll start regular weekend trips as soon as the dumpage occurs. In the meantime Hood is totally rideable if you're jonesin too bad...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am 

TJ trip update....

There is literally no snow in the forecast at all. I think conditions are going to continue to be butt through next weekend, which is when we had talked about booking the TJ cabin. I'm voting for waiting another week, until the weekend of 12/17. If some of you guys still want to go this weekend go for it, but I'm targeting 12/17.

Sorry if you guys planned around this with work/family, but I think it's worth waiting till there's at least a few inches of fresh to be had.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:35 pm 

I just saw a trip report on tay and it looked pretty scarce on lower elevation. I wouldn't be surprised if it out turned out to be a Drycember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next