Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: SoCal /Central Coast Riders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 pm 

What a season. Unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:33 pm 

supermodel159 wrote:
What a season. Unreal.

Two BC days so far. I needed serious base repair after both. :roll:
It's so bad I even went to MtHigh for the first time since I started this whole backcountry thing. :banghead:
And Avy 2 class starts next week!

OTOH I've become a decent MTB'er. 365 miles since November 1st. I think Imma ride across the crest and back soon. Sheesh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm 

Hi Hans,

Where are you taking that level 2 class? Anywhere around LA?

P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20 pm 

NSP is offers Avy 2 in LA every 2 years. Evening classes in Claremont and field classes at Baldy Lifts. (They have snow?!)

Here's from the blog/email...

From http://scalavyclasses.blogspot.com
Level 2 Avalanche Class Information
We are planning on teaching a Level 2 Avalanche class this year and I wanted to provide the details of the class. Level 2 Avalanche for Rescue Personnel This is an enhanced Level 2 course for ski patrollers or personnel of other organizations or agencies engaged in avalanche search and rescue who want to upgrade avalanche safety and rescue skills to a leadership level. It is a prerequisite for NSP avalanche instructor development and for professional-level training offered by other organizations. This course covers advanced knowledge and techniques for hazard assessment and route selection, introduces avalanche hazard forecasting and mitigation strategies, and develops organized rescue management and leadership, including strategies for travel to an incident site and conducting both an immediate search and extended operations. It also includes incident/rescue documentation and development of avalanche emergency response plans. Prerequisites: Level 1 Avalanche for Rescue Personnel course or refresher within the previous three years; at least one intervening year of experience is highly recommended. Time Commitment: Minimum of 32 hours instruction, at least 60 percent spent in the field. Fees: $190 for NSP Members and $225 for non-NSP Members Credential: NSP Certificate of Achievement Continuing Education/Refresher Requirements: None Instructor of Record: NSP-certified Level 2 Avalanche Instructor Required Text:Avalanche Rescue Quick Guide NSP Avalanche Rescue Fundamentals Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, by Bruce Tremper or The Avalanche Handbook, 3rd Ed., by David McClung and Peter Schaerer Optional Text: Snow, Weather and Avalanches: Observational Guidelines for Avalanche Programs in the United States, by the American Avalanche Association and U.S. Forest Service Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches, by Jill Fredston
Registration Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?usp=drive_web&formkey=dDJYNUV1UlhhRURDZENvalZyWXcwa0E6MA#gid=0
Contact Information Jeff Pierce avalanche@socalnsp.org
P.s. Allen Giernet runs a great resource, So Cal Snow Avalanche Center @ http://www.socalsnow.org. That's how I got hooked up w/Avy1 last year.
The Events Calendar has all things Avy-related south of Bishop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 am 

Thank you for the info! I only have a AIARE level 1...so I wont qualify. So maybe in 2 years :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm 

So the field classes for my Avy 2 were canceled this weekend. We're looking at moving the classes to Mammoth. Anybody got any beta on the snowpack in the BC there? Where are might we have enough snow to dig a pit and find something interesting?
Thanks in advance.

p.s. 429 miles on the bike and counting. :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 am 

Here we go! Let it snowwwwwww! I was up last weekend. A little low tide still but after this weekends storm it will be a go. I heard a rumor that Redcone was knee deep. Just sayin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9