Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Splitters for 2011/2012 - Vancouver-based
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm 

Whats up fellow Splitboarders. I'm a long time lurker on this forum but this may infact be my first real post (time to change that sad fact). I've been Splitting now for 3 complete seasons and snowboading for nearly 20, I'm in my later 20's. I'm an avid weekend warrier, in that each weekend from mid-October to mid-July (bless our coastal snowpack) you can find me in the mountains. I've got full gear, Avy training, first aid etc. As well as a lot of years of hiking/backpacking experience.

I'm looking for partners who are down for day trips out of the Vancouver area (mainly Sea to Sky corridor, Duffy Lake zones, Mt. Baker area, Coquihalla and every spot in between). I'm also down for some weekend or extended hut trips/road trips spotted throughout the winter. We tend to do touring out of Rossland/Nelson the past 3 winters and I've also done some exploring in Roger's Pass/Revelstoke/Golden. But there is simply far too much out there I haven't done.

Its important that you are equipped, trained and practiced with your avy equipment and comfortable making informed group decisions. I love riding rad Alpine lines, but do so ONLY when conditions allow. Otherwise you'll find me in the protected tree/pillow stashes collecting face shots and popping airs.

I'm game for long days, epics, or short tours, variety is the spice of life. I'm fit, a good partner and more then willing to pull my weight in planning, route-finding etc.

I have a few partners I regularly get out with but they seem to be getting busier each month that passes so I need to extend my circle of splitters in order to get the most of the coming fall/winter/spring.

I'm also a semi-pro photographer and often split with my SLR so I can provide you with some nice shots to boot.

Send me a note and lets hook up for a tour sooner then later. If anyone is interested in some pre-season hikes I'm game for that as well.

P.s - A cold brew and a joint are a welcome but not necessary part of the winter shredding experience.

Post subject: Re: Seeking Splitters for 2011/2012 - Vancouver-based
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:17 am 

Ive come to the conclusion that canadians get wasted alot? I be in Rossland in January for 3months at least, keen to hook up with some locals.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 pm 

Wasted a lot? Not really my thing. But a cold beer after a day on the slopes tastes that much better. As for a joint, I suppose its the Canadian way, we're pretty liberal about that around here, BC especially. My CEO, my doctor, school principals, and surely the majority of my snowboard friends all enjoy a toke, no big deal. Certainly when we ride in Mt. Baker the dope stays at home, and we ride Mt. Baker a lot.

I'll send you a note when we head to Rossland this winter. No there's a little mountain town that likes to drink;)

Do you know Tom in Rossland? (everyone should - he's a frenchie and he rips on a splitboard) He's kinda a shred hero of mine, living the dream out of his trailer in Rossland. The guy works hard all summer, then enjoys the EI ski team and rides hard, every single day, all winter long.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 am 

Yeah cant wait to for some canadian culture. Nope i know very little about rossland. Do you think i can find a job working nights during winter in rossland/nelson? whats a general splitboard trip like in rossland? do i use lifts for access? or skin from the road? i got so much to find out before winter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am 

Well Chris, you’re in for a treat. The Rossland/Nelson area is a splitters paradise, tons of options with great access and a reasonable weekend road trip drive to all sorts of other great areas in BC. There is of course the ski resorts (good ones) of Red Mountains and Whitewater (in Rossland and Nelson respectively). Both of these resorts have great inbounds terrain, especially on deep days or when the snowpack is touchy. Both resorts offer amazing sidecountry/backcountry access as well. Beyond that there is great access for backcountry touring out of several area mountain passes, a few very close to the town of Rossland, then closer to Nelson and probably the snowiest of them all, Salmo/Creston/Kootenay Pass. The locals have a great touring scene you should have no problem with, but you should definitely meet Tom, he could change your life, and help you get the most out of your time in Rossland for sure. I’m jealous if I could find decent work in that area I’d be in Rossland in a second (with Nelson a close second). As for evening jobs, get on it ASAP – both of these towns are ski towns, full of ski bums. Few work during the day, most either don’t work during the winter at all (aside from limited volunteering at the resorts to garner a seasons pass) or they work nights exclusively so they have their days free to shred. So I feel like there will be lots of competition for decent evening jobs, start applying!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:50 pm 

Hey jcbackcounrty,

Im based in Vancouver, just moved here after spending last winter in Whistler. New to splitboarding, just got my first a few weeks ago, but been riding for over 15 years. Spent most of last winter riding a Burton fish and even tho I rode some amazing powder last season, I really want to get in to the back country some more.

I'll be doing my avy 1 at the start of winter, and have used transceivers when i've done off piste riding in Europe and on a heli skiing trip last winter. (Will have my own complete set up by winter).

Im 31, fit and intend to be a lot fitter by the start of the winter, and will be praticing alot on my splitty before heading in to the backcounrty, but would really like to meet up with some splitboarders to go on some tours with, as I dont know any here.

Be good to hear from you.

PS - Totally agree with you about that cold beer at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm 

Hey jcbackcountry and jmcs,

I'm also in the area and looking for people to splitboard with. I live in Squamish. I've been snowboarding for many years but I'm relatively new to splitboarding. I bought my first splitboard and took some avy training late in the season before last.

I didn't get into the backcountry as much as I would have liked last season, partly because of bad avalanche conditions. As I'm new to the backcountry I always err well on the side of caution when it comes to safety.

Until now I've been riding with my skier friends. I would love to do some day trips with some other splitboarders in the coming season.

Lets plan something when the snow flies. It can't be long now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm 

Howdy folks!
To Chrisnz and JCBackcounrty, im up in Rossland in the area, and if you guys want to ever hook up for some splitting action. i'm always down to meet up with some new splitters. Been in the area for 6 seasons. and its a hard place to leave. Red is sick mountain with 4 easy accesible mountains that you can access from the chairlifts. two lead back to chairs, and the other two you need to hike back to the resort or ride to the highway. Down the road from Red there's Strawberry Pass which goes from Rossland to Nancy Green lake, where you can access a good handful of peaks from the highway. This is also where Big Red Cats accesses there terrain. You can access Old Glory from the highway and that's the biggest peak in the Rossland Range. beauty mountain. Beauty Views! An hour drive from Rossland you can get to Kootenay Pass which is right between Salmo and Creston. and there is so much amazing access and cabins for you to sleep in! it is one of my favourite places ever. I'm contemplating moving to Salmo for that reason! As well you have Nelson which is an hour drive from Rossland, and Whitewater Ski Resort is a mecca for touring. You have tons of options in the West Kootenays! Then you have Revelstoke 4 hours north of Rossland, and Rogers Pass only 5 hours away. So you have lots of options!!!

For living and jobs, the sooner the better, but you can always weasle your way in somewhere. a lot of ppl work a bunch of random jobs, to get by. or get your resume into the ski hill, get a job and a pass.! send me a message when your out here!

And ya dude Tom is a sick ripper, one of the best toe slide slashers i have ever seen!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:37 am 

Hey Guys
Im in Vancouver done a avy course last year didnt get out backcounrty last season due to not knowing anybody, lack of experience, and all the avalanches around Golden,

so ultra keen this season! spent the summer kayaking from Van to Alaska and was dreaming of snow all the way! ha

Cheers Danny (from Scotland)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm 

Cheers folks. It would seem Vancouver has got quite a little network of eager splitters a-brewing. Send me your contact details via pm and I will keep you in touch for when we get out there. This weekend is looking like it could be powder aplenty if the temps stay cold enough.

Cheers,

James

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm 

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
And ya dude Tom is a sick ripper, one of the best toe slide slashers i have ever seen!

Here here! Powslashwigley, I'll let you know when we are headed out Rossvegas way this season. Let me know if you head to the wet coast at all.

Cheers,

James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 am 

Hey JCbackcountry, Dannyami and ppower,

Good to see a few splitters in the Van area. Im keen as to hook up when the snow comes and will PM each of you my details in the next few days. Be cool to meet up.

Speak soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:37 pm 

Hey James/and the rest,
I PM'd you my info.
I moved to Van last winter and have be looking for split partners ever since. I did a few day tours and one multi-day last winter, mainly with BCMC. Hence the need to get some trips in with some other splitters. Ha

Hopely we can set something up.