Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: NH/ME region this winter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yea, I doubt I'd pay $10 very often to skin up the cat with tucks right across the street basically.

Anyone know what the coverage is like around? A few vids at jay make me think it might not be a bad time to head up there for Saturday, unless they open. Especially with the storm potentially dropping some more. Just low coverage conditions. If anyone is heading anywhere and wants a partner I'll gladly join!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 am 

Up in tucks is still pretty bear bones. Nothing really ride able there. You could definitely get some turns off the summit of Washington but bring your crampons and a splitty is not necessary yet. The mountains should get a few inches more over the next few days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 am 

Up in tucks is still pretty bear bones. Nothing really ride able there. You could definitely get some turns off the summit of Washington but bring your crampons and a splitty is not necessary yet. The mountains should get a few inches more over the next few days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:30 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like jay would be my only option then... Long drive for so so conditions. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am 

First day at wildcat yesterday after the storm! Day 1, bagged!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 pm 

What coverage did the cat have? I was in Thornton and there was no snow in sight, so I didn't even bother driving around.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:22 pm 

4 inch cover that's it. but most has melted away, supposed toto get another storm this Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 pm 

Hey all, figured I'd join in on the discussion. I picked up my first split last winter, we all know how that worked out. Only used it a handful of times. I did skin up Sugarbush after they got a foot on MLK weekend. Got first tracks down Middle Earth, snow wise probably the best run I had all season. Hit up Tucks 3 times as well but overall the split certainly didn't get the attention it deserved.

I'm hoping to remedy that situation this year. I'm based out of Hooksett, NH and looking to find some people to tour around with this winter. Pretty much up for anything. I have my eye set on some of the bigger lines on Washington and a couple of the slides on the side of Osceola. I'd also love to hit Cardigan on a nice powder day.

I have some avy gear, shovel and probe but but no beacon (looking to get one this winter). I know there was some discussion about an avy class. For those interested I'm planning on taking a class with the AMC on 12/15 and 12/16. I've been in contact with the instructor and the syllabus looks to be pretty much the same as an AIARE I course. Plus it's $75 for AMC members and $90 for non members. Way better than the $350 EMS or IME get. I'd love to have some splitters for company so if anybody is interested let me know and I can send you the link.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say whats up. Here's hoping for a snowy winter, let me know if you want to ride.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 am 

Hey toolidge,

Just so you know there is no snow to study right now on Washington. Unless we get giant dumps in the next couple off weeks that class will be very conceptual and not actual. You can only split manmade snow on wildcat right now.

I'll keep you updated though, and I'd love the link for the class too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm 

I'm up for some riding toolidge. I'll be based in Thornton on the weekends and the occasional weekday. I'd love to hit some big lines. I've got all the avy gear and unofficial training. I'm looking to take an official aiare course at some point, but as mentioned, Washington has nothing yet. I'm an AMC member as well.

I've been hoping to get out one of these days, maybe this weekend, just to get my feet under me since this is my first season on a split. $10 to split at the cat might not be a bad way to spend a Saturday, since there's nothing else to really board yet.

Im also hoping to do some sunrise poachings of jay on powder days too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am 

Hey dfox I'd love to join you this weekend but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I'll be at Sugarbush making some resort laps. I could be up for a skin up Wildcat next weekend though. I'd love to get back to Jay as well. I've been a couple times and each time the snow has kinda sucked. I bought the tickets off liftopia so I was kinda locked into the days I went. I feel like that place owes me some good snow. Would love to time a storm right up up there.

Looks like a little bit of natural snow fell in the Whites last night, hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 am 

I timed jay perfectly last year. I had a cabin up there the one weekend they got dumped on. It was like being back in the pacnw. I also do plan on going to magic a few times, I've heard they've got some awesome terrain. I need to get some good skinning days in before my trip to Silverton. Hiking at 10k feet is going to be a shock coming from here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am 

Where did you ride in northwest? I road alpental a lot. Place is so sick for slackcountry. Baker and Stevens were super fun. Heading to brighton and solitude in jan. so stoked. Hope we have a good season. Can't wait to split around the whites as well. Got all the Avy gear. Just need snow. Ridden Sunday river twice now couldn't wait any longer Surprisingly good for early riding

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next