Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: intense moments in spring 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 am 

this season has come to an end and it`s time to look back. Here are two pics/videos where good and bad luck seemed to be twins:

I got into a small slab, which was caused by myself, just because I ignored to look back and ride to the side.

My front binding opened itself at my first turn and I did an onefooted frontflip luckily whitout breaking my legs.

Post subject: Re: intense moments in spring 2013
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm 

Glad you weren't hurt.
But I have to ask :shock: , was the binding an equipment failure, operator error, or something else? It's hard to tell if it was locked down or not in the video. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 am 

You are so lucky on that slide.

I had a similar experience earlier this season and I was sure I broke my nose but in the end I was just being a pansy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
was the binding an equipment failure, operator error, or something else? It's hard to tell if it was locked down or not in the video. What do you think?

Although I was the "pilot" and have watched the video several times I still don`t know what happened. Suddenly the closing sprang open, it was closed carefully before, no snow or ice on my boots. The binding is still ok, I just had to close again and keep on riding. I also didn`t touch the closing or got hit by a stone or ice. I think sometimes some things just happen. (hopefully never again)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

Mansi wrote:
802smuggler wrote:
was the binding an equipment failure, operator error, or something else? It's hard to tell if it was locked down or not in the video. What do you think?

Although I was the "pilot" and have watched the video several times I still don`t know what happened. Suddenly the closing sprang open, it was closed carefully before, no snow or ice on my boots. The binding is still ok, I just had to close again and keep on riding. I also didn`t touch the closing or got hit by a stone or ice. I think sometimes some things just happen. (hopefully never again)

If those are the Voile bails, there is a weld at the bottom that can fail. Easy to check by taking the binding off of the slider track. (Not saying that's what happened to you, but it did happen to me a long time ago. Always inspect your gear!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 am 

Both of these incidents were clearly caused by the mixing of two highly reactive materials - neon gore-tex and hardboots.

:)

But seriously... damn lucky on both counts. I would go buy a lottery ticket if I were you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:11 am 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 you were right!

the back bail of the voile binding broke exactly in the middle on the bottom side of the binding so it was possible to slip sidewards. At the moment I`ve just taken a strong rubber band to avoid slipping that works well. But Santa Claus is bringing Phantoms :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:21 pm 

Of course I was right :wink: . But seriously, I really wouldn't ride on those bindings anymore until you replace that bail. Voile will no doubt send you a new one (they did for me). It's not worth the risk, and you'll be bummed if your foot pops out and you tumble through rocks and off a cliff like I did.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:59 am 

Kyle Miller wrote:
You are so lucky on that slide.

I had a similar experience earlier this season and I was sure I broke my nose but in the end I was just being a pansy.

I was there... I seen the blood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 pm 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
Of course I was right :wink: . But seriously, I really wouldn't ride on those bindings anymore until you replace that bail. Voile will no doubt send you a new one (they did for me). It's not worth the risk, and you'll be bummed if your foot pops out and you tumble through rocks and off a cliff like I did.

I was there... I seen the blood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 pm 

I was getting the same premature ejectulations and found the same issue. Since have switched to bindings that dont have to worry when the next spot weld will blow. Get you some phantoms or bombers or even old burton race plates.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:43 pm 

jimw wrote:
Both of these incidents were clearly caused by the mixing of two highly reactive materials - neon gore-tex and hardboots.

:)

hahaha that's pretty good