Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steven's Pass on Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:00 pm 

I was sorry I missed the opeining at Baker on Thursday mostly because I love sunny pow days but who doesn't! So I watched the forcast models and planned on a sunny pow day for Saturday. But I guess there are a ton of people that know how to read a forcast model because it was pretty crowded up at Steven's Pass considering they didn't open. Not sure why they didn't open as they had a ton of snow but I'm not complaining.

Got to the parking lot that was almost full. There must have been some employee thing going on because it wasn't that crowded on the snow.

Took a quick run up Big Chief to get some turns in before that slope got tracked out. The pow was about a foot deep on packed powder....sweet! This is looking at Cowboy Mt which we headed to next.

We took the long approach up to Hogback. Next time we're mounting speakers on Mark's back to we can rock out on the way up.

Taking a breather.

We didn't make it to the top of 7th because I was having issues with a hip flexor.

So we transistioned and took an awesome run down Blue Trail and ened up in a pillow field! It Was one of my best runs to date.

Awesome start to the season!

Post subject: Re: Steven's Pass on Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:51 pm 

Looks sweet! Early season hip flexors suck :thumbsdown: No substitute for skinning, but I've found that daily stretching those things helps out some. Nice score on the fresh lines.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:04 pm 

Yeah, I hurt it on a hike in the rain last weekend. It only hurts after long periods of heavy use. I've started working a hip flexor stretch into my daily stretches but you add some good advise, I need to get in some strength training in too. Got any good ones?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:00 pm 

yup, you PNW folks got the early season goods, again.

on another note, i had never even heard of hip flexors till i read your TR, so I learnded something new today, with the help of google of course.

http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Anatomy/Hip_flexors.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:08 pm 

sketchyT wrote:
It only hurts after long periods of heavy use. I've started working a hip flexor stretch into my daily stretches but you add some good advise, I need to get in some strength training in too. Got any good ones?

I dunno - maybe some hanging leg lifts? I've found an eliptical trainer simulates skinning, so I try to incorporate that into my off season workouts....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 pm 

Yoga. Pigeon pose. But definitely a good idea to get in some classes a few times a week. I got into it about a year ago, and it made a huge difference in my snowboarding and how I felt afterward.