Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Nisqually Chute MRNP/Getting the site some love from MRNP

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nisqually Chute MRNP/Getting the site some love from MRNP
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:47 pm 

After years of hounding my friend Dan finally purchused a AT setup for his skiis so he could go skinning. We decided what that the perfect introduction to skinning would be going up to camp Muir which is the basecamp for summiting Rainier from the Southern side. It was a late start on Sunday due to my hangover that lastest all saturday from a wild friday night. We decided to park down at the Nisqually bridge (3'800 feet) and hitch hike up to Paradise which took us all but five minutes. By 11:30 we were skinning up the mountain ( I told you it was a late start)

Rainier with our objective on the right side ( Nisqually Chute)
First view of the Tatoosh Range
Dan Skinning up the Muir Snowfield

Turns out earlier in the day someone had fallen into a crevasse and when we arrived to Camp Muir a Heli landed and took him away after a 100 foot fall. Sadly my camera wasn't working at that moment.

The Standard Muir shot at 10'188 feet
Dan Skiing down with the summit in the Background
Harvesting the corn
High speed turns with Tatoosh range in the Background
Were riding all the way down into that valley
Looking for the access to the chute
We found it
Dan Drops in first
Then Myself
Riding on the Nisqually Glacier
Then the Lower Moriane fields

We hiked from Paradise up to Muir in about 3 hours then had a 6'400
foot run with perfect fall line all the way down. It was great corn until the Nisqually glacier which was quite a bit Heavier but what do you expect when its 6'400 feet of Spring corn. I leave with this pick of Dan dropping
off the snowbank into the parking lot and contrary to popular belief it didn't break his Knees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:30 am 

Sweet pics. I probably passed you guys on my way down from Muir about 12:30 or so. At that point, the crevasse fall victim was being cared for in one of the huts and a ranger and another climber were retrieving his pack and the backboard from the accident site. What time did the heli show up? I'm guessing the pilot didn't have any trouble with the 20-30 mph winds coming through the gap at Muir?

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 am 

Wow, looks super $$$!

:thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:52 am 

Snow looks better than the slurpee snow we had on Highway 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:25 pm 

Great work, and it looked like great weather too!

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:22 pm 

I summited at around 2:30 so I would say the Heli was up there at 3.

On another note all together MRNP has a official climbing blog where people can check out conditions. Our TR from Mowich lake got referenced with a link back to Splitboard.com and our TR . Event better they chose the pic of me summiting fay peak as there main pic which was actually taken by Scott Stuglemeyer.
here is a link
http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:08 pm 

Nice day up there yesterday...now...who wasn't up there? Seemed like the whole bc army came out.

Post subject: Re: Nisqually Chute MRNP/Getting the site some love from MRN
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 pm 

That is awesome! Talk about your perfect car shuttle.

Are all those little dots in the background people skinning up??
Kyle Miller wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm 

No it was a rescue party for the person who fell into the crevase heading back towards paradise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm 

Was there another crevasse fall? The accident site I saw was not too much below Muir on the Nisqually. I'm not trying to be critical, more just curiosity, but it looks like 20-30 people in that picture. That to me seems like a really big rescue party.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:52 pm 

No same accident and that was the last of the parties leaving. I guess there was more then 50 people helping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am 

Nice trip report. I did the same tour last Saturday (5/10) and we didn't hit as nice of conditions. We were totally socked in by the clouds - (couldn't tell if you were moving up or down!) and had some pretty soggy snow.

Still a fun trip though, and who can complain about being able to ride all the way down to the Nisqually Bridge in the middle of May?!?