Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4/26 Snoqualmie Pass-Kendal Knob
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm 

We had a spectacular sunny morning splitting up at Snoqualmie Pass on Saturday. Group of four riders and a 8 month Bernese Mountain Dog pup Miley who I think was doing the route finding. We actually attemped to skin up Kendal Ridge but we started from the Central exit road so I think we actually did Kendal Knob.

We followed a snowcovered access road to the end where we discovered we went too far so we had to double backed thru the woods. We didn't make it to the clearcut for about an hour because we took the long way thru the trees.

When we finally got to the start of the crearcut we started a long traverse that was hard snow and difficult to keep an edge on. I lost my edge hold, fell forward then slipped about 15 feet where I came to a stop just above a ten foot treewell. It was time to put on the crampons! After that I was superman. I could get thru just about anything. The two leaders were doing OK so they kept their pace. My partner didn't have crampons, couldn't hold an edge on the traverse or get enough grip on the uphill. He tried his best for the next hour but after two encounters with treewells he was too tired to go on. So after we agreed he should stay put and the rest of the group would pick him up on the ride down, I left him in the shade of a tree.

I tried to catch the pair in front that were now waiting at the summit but they were too restless to get in some corn turns before it turned to mush so they started their decent just as I was starting my accent up the last face. I don't blame them for coming down but I still need to summit that. Maybe next week!

The ride down was sweet! Untracked soft snow all the down to the trees. The ride thru the woods was a challange but we were able to make it almost to the road. Just skinned up from there and a 10 min hike out.

Here's some picts:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:02 am 

Nice TR and great bluebird day. How warm was it on Saturday? I wish I had that weather on Sunday, but alas the clouds moved in. Great photos, but none of the pup?

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:11 am 

It was pretty warm, maybe 60 in the sun.

Here's some shots of the dog. These are my freinds picts so I hope he doesn't mind me post them. But he'll never know! Haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 am 

Looks like a great day. I see Bob (DR) finally bought a splitboard, I'll have to get out with you guys sometime. have you thought of heading up to Baker for a day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:29 pm 

Yeah, I think about Baker all the time. Are they closed now?

Bob is busy this weekend so maybe the following weekend could work. May 10th would be the date. What would you want to do?