Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Rainier
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 pm 

Met up with an old friend Bill and his pal Michael, each borrowed sets of snowshoes from me for the trip...they ski. Arrived a bit later than planned to Mt Ranier's gate to find it delayed in opening until 11am. Located newbie splitters Drat (voile mojo 161 for a month) and DaveNirish (mtn gun 173 for a week).

Plan was loose, depart Paradise and go as far as the conditions, mostly visibility permitted. We only got to about 7500' before the heavy snow and descending and thickening cloud cover settled in around us. That left us skinning through 12-18" of fresh until we decided to turn back. We rode down a series of short but deeply covered slopes. Each left us in need to glide or boot it through the flat section to the next drop. We did this through four sections ending on the roadway between Paradise and Mazama Ridge and we followed the roadway back to Paradise.

My camera's freshly charged batteries failed to take more than a few photos, probably the cold. I should keep it inside my shell, nothing cold in there. Everyone enjoyed our first meeting and our first outing at Paradise.

DaveNirish getting his skins on...duct tape patches and all (he skinned like a champ even though he forgot his poles)

Cargo load of Bill, Michael and Ed's gear (looks like a yardsale)

Skinning up, Drat nearest, DaveNirish's head visible and Bill just ahead

DaveNirish after dismounting and then landing a reverse 180 bummer with no splash. He recovered to save cool points.

Drat smiling ear to ear even though one of his cap straps broke at the top transition. (This guy looks like photos I have seen of jimw, maybe a long lost brother?)

Mumbles, not smiling because we are headed back to the truck. (Rode through two sections of nipple deep powder where his smile was ear to ear too)

Michael took a bunch of photos too, maybe his camera lasted longer than mine. A good time with an old and three new friends. I think we will be riding again real soon.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:18 pm 

Still getting snow?!? My god you people are gluttons. Nice job getting a little crew out there. So easy to forget poles when you're not a skier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:13 pm 

Still getting it and it looks like more on the way. He was excited to get out and rode with Drat, so he forgot them in his vehicle. It seems that every time I'm not driving I'm paranoid that I will not take something out of my truck and put it into the carpool vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:19 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
Still getting it and it looks like more on the way. He was excited to get out and rode with Drat, so he forgot them in his vehicle. It seems that every time I'm not driving I'm paranoid that I will not take something out of my truck and put it into the carpool vehicle.

Nice mumbles.

Rainier would be a nice place to play around on.

I can't believe the snow you're getting.

You should be posting TR's most of the summer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:59 pm 

Nice Mumbles...we are having the best spring ever!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:39 pm 

spicoli11 wrote:
Nice Mumbles...we are having the best spring ever!!

Shhh, don't say spring too loudly, I'm not ready for that. This is fantastic. Rainier was so great, snow so deep and I could barely see a fraction of what was there with the descending cloud cover and heavy snow. I'm in need of a return trip when the weather is a bit more clear but I'm hopeing for continued snow. We passed a few groups along the way that all were turning back due to the impossible visibility.

What is your work skipping schedule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:48 pm 

Way to get after it.. Looks like there where alot of cars there. Was it busy?

My work schedule tomorrow is to go out and ride and be home by 5pm. Having trouble locating my beacon, so unless I can find it, or another one somehow, I am going to be doing something really lame like skinning up stevens and riding mellow stuff down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:07 am 

Finally have a chance to see the Pic's...Working on the Road Sucks.

It was fun, We will have to do it again sometime, hopefully on a clear day. It did seem to clear up on the way home making hard not to turn around and head back up after the sun was coming out showing all the snow. It really made things bad for work due to the fact that i still had the taste of fresh pow and totally blew off getting ready to go on the road to get some more riding it. So we did a short trip to Hayak on Sunday morning and ran into 4 other splitboarders besides Drat and me. Including JimJar, Nice guy did a run with him and will plan some trips when I get back into town. I am thinking St Helens is calling my name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:11 pm 

OMG - they need to work on their organization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:37 pm 

This is normal Mumbles organization, from what I've seen! :lol: At least in the truck...better out on the trail, though. We will see this weekend, maybe, if he can come out and play. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:40 pm 

OCD, you have OCD or something? Everything in the pack has its place. Two of us walked onto ferries with our gear and threw it into Bill's truck and hit the highway. Splitboards draw a crowd on ferries, check it out sometime. (i did say it looked like a yardsale. I brough all my split gear plus snowshoes for both Bill and Michael, it was a gear wreck for sure.)

Jon, working on a couple of huge projects and with luck will still make our trip this weekend. I might have to tape my eyelids open though.

Ale, there were a bunch of cars at Longmire down at the gate. The lot at Paradise filled in a bit, but it was not too crowded. The clouds came down and snow was flying so many stayed away. I can't wait to get back there in better weather, so much terrain and I could only see a fraction of it through the milky cloud.