Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kendall Ridge and Amabilis Mt - 26-27 Mar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:51 pm 

This week was mid-week of my spring break, and since I can't make it down to the Sierra Splitfest, I toured solo near Snoqualmie Pass on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday: Left Seattle with thoughts of riding Chair Peak, but ended up going to Kendall due to the snow/visibility at the time. In a nice turn of events, about a mile into the skin, the snow stopped and the clouds started to burn off in spots. I ended up making four runs, three off the west side of Kendall Ridge (~400-500 feet) in nice steep powder through the trees. My second run of the four was from a knoll to the west down through an old clearcut. Pics:

Blue sky appearing above Kendall Ridge and Peak

Looking back to the ridge on my way up to the knoll

Southern end of Kendall Ridge with Keechelus Lake

Coming down off of the knoll

Looking back at the clear cut

Runs 1 and 3

Chair Peak

Thursday: The day started off very similar weather wise, but with a slightly worse avy forecast. With that in mind, I decided to head a bit further west and check out Amabilis Mt. Once again, about a mile into the skin, the snow stopped and the rest of the day was a 50/50 split between the sun and the clouds. It was a long skin to the summit with a couple of miles breaking trail, since the nordic ski club only grooms the road to about 3300 feet. Once at the summit, I made two runs (~600-700 feet) down into the north bowl through great trees. Just tight enough to dictate turns, but loose enough to encourage speed. I then rode the fall line to the southwest of the summit ridge through tight trees to reach the road for the ski back to the car. I also set off a few very small slides about 50 feet before reaching the Amabilis Mt road at about 3400 feet. Above, the snow was protected from the sun by the trees and remained fairly dry powder, but above the road was exposed, and the 4 inches of fresh snow slid on the sun crust from the weekend. A bit unexpected, but not really a surprise.

Nobody up here but me

Looking north, nearing the summit ridge

Kachess Lake and I-90

Riding through the trees

Tracks

Oops!

Jump turns on the bed surface

Second bed surface

Looking back up the drainage and the last two small slides/sluffs

Thanks for reading!

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 pm 

Kendall MADNESS. Hey... we were on kendall today but breaking trail on the west face of kendall itself. Opted to not go down the N chutes after a pit check. Met some hommies that were putting in a traverse fron kendall to daniels over the next 3 days....good luck to'em. Nice photos...I'll throw a couple up...hope you don't mind

Ol'time