The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 29 - July 1, 2006 Mt Adams
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 pm 

Southwest Chutes, Mt Adams...

Me somewhere deep in it...
http://www.cascadesfreak.com/gallery/mt-adams-7-1-2006/DSCN0783?full=1

It was the Wednesday before and here I was sitting at the Swell, once again contemplating a destination for the weekend, over some guinys and a hefty serving of bangers n'mash. No decision should be made on an empty stomach. I was searching for a trip that could follow and mimic the sensation of doing Shasta the weekend before. Why not Adams. Why not? The forecast seemed to be in favor so just like that on a Thursday afternoon, Rob and I were driving down FS-23 to Trout Lake to obtain our climbing permits. After the drive to Shasta this drive seemed to go by quick.

Before long we were parked at the Cold Springs campground at 5,600ft. When we left on Thursday late afternoon there was still a 2-3ft snowbank across the road, restricting access to the last bit of parking by the bathrooms. After around a mile or so of hiking we switched to skins around 6,100ft. We found a nice bluff to camp on around 6,700ft that overlooked Hood to the south, St Helens to the west and the Crescent Glacier and Adams right in front of us. This spot also offered some of the finest trundling as well...

Camp was set up quickly and soon capped off by an evening run. Rob and I skinned up this finger of snow to the right, topping out around 7,400ft...

Back at camp a hearty dinner followed along with this spectacular sunset picks...

According to Rob sometime during the night it started to rain but by morning everything was dry. No other weather to speak of except the wind, of el dialbo that is, which really picked up that night. The next morning we woke to the sun with clouds moving swiftly over the summit.
We left around 8ish and were able to skin just about the entire way. There were 2 short carries to gain the ridge above the Crescent Glacier. Soon the both of us were at Lunch Counters staring up Pikers Peak from its base. At this point the snow was not corned to perfection so there was going to be sometime to kill as we waited for the snow to soften.
Looking up...

Looking back down...

By the time Rob and I reached the false summit, around 11,300ft, it was pretty windy. This is where we bumped into splitters Max and Jen. We didn't spend too much time up there...

The 4 of us shared a line from the false summit back to our camps. The top 100ft or so was a bit chewed up and wind effected but soft enough to carve. It got better the further we descended.
Rob...

Max...

Jen...

At the very bottom of Pikers the suncups became more apparent but actually helped you carry speed on a board due to the sticky snow.

Back at camp dinner was served along with amazing views...

Soon it was lights out. Next morning we woke to sun and no clouds. It was Saturday for sure. There were tents, climbers and sliders everywhere. Just as I left camp around 6:30ish I bumped into some TAY'ers. Who else but Kam, Allyson, Kelvin, Skip, Cass and Kevin. They were on their way to bag the summit and SW Chutes. By 9am the sun started to hit the chutes. We were gonna have some time to kill again. While the gang went to tag the summit I took a nap and shared some brews with more familiar faces. Robie and company along with red goat Steve, Adam and John. By 1:30pm the snow was perfect and it was finally time to git er dun!

Even though 20 plus people were observed entering the chutes, there were no problems getting smooth, untracked corn. Towards the bottom third of the chutes, on a steeper slope boarders right, I cut some wet sluffs couple inches deep. It was slow enough to out run but never seemed to stop as it hissed by. It ran for a ways and started somewhere between 9-10k...

Never the less still run that you can hang your hat on. Some more harvesting pics.
Skip...

Kam...

Cass...

Rob, Kam n'gang and I skinned across a few ridges, making sure to stay above 7,200ft and before long we were overlooking our camp and where Skip stashed his shoes. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. It was time to pack up, head down and back home. Gotta get ready for the Sunrise Chutefest prefunk Sunrise Chutefest prefunk tomorrow.

I leave you with a pic of a cool tree...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:25 pm 

Sweet stuff snoslut!

Those are some great sunset pics.

Ps- now that I've got a taste of the volcanoes (Shasta) I'm sure its just a matter of time before I head up north to hit Adams, Hood, and someday Rainer. Thanks for the stoke! :thatrocks: