Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 12-13, 2009 - Bachelor, Beers & Brook Trout
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:18 pm 

Life is good living in Oregon in June. The snow is still decent and the fishing is picking up. The prime window for both activities is just too short.

Todd and I headed out from work early to find a camping spot somewhere close to Mt. Bachelor on the Cascade Lakes Highway. Original plans to hit Tam McArthur Rim were thwarted due to weather and the Sisters Rodeo/Circus. So instead we chose Mt. Bachelor, which has been closed for about a month. The weather did not look promising, with 70% showers forecast, with lightening and hail also likely. It had been pretty crappy all week.

Camp was at Hosmer Lake, and we soon had a nice fire going and tarp set-up. It rained off and on. Here's a photo of our objective from the south side taken from the Lake (we hit the north side)....

After a few beers and lots of bs by the fire, we hit the sack.

To our suprise, the next morning dawned clear. Here's Bachelor in the morning light....

We headed up to the mountain, but soon turned around to get our poles which we had left to support out tarp :banghead: By 7:45 or so we were skinning up under the Pine Martin lift. When we were above the chairlift, clouds started building big time. Big boiling thunderheads and dark skies sent us down the mountain w/o hitting the summit and getting the goods in the Cirque Bowl :banghead:

We returned to camp, and made some more firewood. After making friends with several resident chipmunks, we headed to Lava Lake to get a few supplies. I needed to be home for some family stuff on Sunday, so I headed out at 2pm and went back to the mountain for another try. The weather was still menacing, but I was able to get up the Cinder Cone and make some turns. I literally ran up the mountain, hot footing it not wanting the weather to change or the lurking thunderhead to get me. I made it in time and the ride down was cream. Total vertical for the day was around 2200 feet. Here's a shot from the top of the Cone showing the South Sister and Broken Top. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone on the South Sister today becasue of the recent weather, but it still has some good lines on it.

Back at the parking lot with a Cinder Cone brew from Deschutes.......

On the way back I had an hour or two to kill, so I fished a stretch of the Deschutes River upstream of Crane Prairie. It's been awhile since I've fished up here and it was a good time. I used my little ultralight rod and reel and only lost two lures :scratch: Here's a couple of pics of the stretch I fished....

I caught several small brook trout and a few rainbows like this one that I threw back - they sure have pretty color to them.....

Overall it was a nice trip, given the unstable weather we've been having here in the PNW lately :D

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: June 12-13, 2009 - Bachelor, Beers & Brook Trout
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 pm 

Nice work! Way to get out and enjoy the beautiful Oregon summer. Hosmer is a sweet little lake.
I agree...Weather sure has been frustrating lately though. I feel like we're
watching our window slip by...
e

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:34 pm 

Thanks Euclid - I agree about watching the snow just slip away - so sad. Oh well, the fishing will still be good!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:26 pm 

stoudema wrote:
Back at the parking lot with a Cinder Cone brew from Deschutes.......

Representing! :drinks:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:47 pm 

:thumbsup: for the attempt! Hopefully this weekend will be better climbing weather. Looks like the east side of Shasta is planned for Thursday, but Rebecca and I will probably head out if we have a weather window Saturday or Sunday. I think Todd is getting married this weekend? If not, let us know if you are interested in something.