Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Hood, Zig Zag Glacier 09/13/08
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:39 am 

So, in the spirit of my response to a trip report on this board, I figured I would post an "actual" trip report:

I came home from work on Friday night to find my wife working the BBQ and a case of beer in the fridge! Rad! I drank way too many beers. Ate some good Vegetarian BBQ!

I woke up on Saturday morning around 1030 AM, and hungover.... Damn it!! I was supposed to go snowboarding....

So I did anyways.

So I packed my crap, and arrived at Timberline around 1PM.... I started hiking down the PCT, snowboard and all on my back, and entertained all the strange questions I usually get from the hikers on the trail. Turned north on trail 798, and started my hike up the hill.

Follow that up even further, and you get to the first snow "finger"...

At this point I think the Hangover is losing it's grasp on me, but I could be wrong.

Until you get to scree heaven....

I took a break here, and while eating a banana, some tourists that rode up on the Magic Mile Sky Ride confronted me. They said they where out of water. WTF, why would you hike up to 8200' in bone dry weather and not bring water? Oh yeah, that's right, they rode a lift... I gave them some water, leaving me 16oz. less water to fend for my self. I am just a bucket of charity sometimes, and I don't know why.

Any ways, onwards I go, climbing over scree hill after scree hill, until I finally find my objective!

Ahhh... Finally, what I came to attack.

But, it's time to eat some lunch and take a break.

Anyhow, no irritants here, and I took a good hour just being lazy, and enjoying the mountains. Then I strapped up the board, and started my ride down. Sorry kids, I forgot to take pictues, but I can say this: The damn snow actually has got worse from last week I was up here. The runnels are deeper, and the suncups are more vigilant than ever. I think I ate shit four or five times on the way down. Way different from last week. :cry:

I ended up in the little Zig Zag canyon drainage, which was in much better shape last week. I had to play scree idiot for most of it, and since I forgot my gaitors, I had boots filled with Mt. Hood sand. Fantastic. I love that kind of stuff. I eventually found a line out of the canyon, which had me relieved. Seeing huge rocks still levitated by melting snow did not give me a huge set of confidence about the stability of the canyon walls...

On my way out..

Oh well, I found the PCT once again, and made my way back to the parking lot.

The mountain in it's state as of yesterday.

Skål!!!

-Otto

Post subject: Re: Mt. Hood, Zig Zag Glacier 09/13/08
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:26 pm 

This is a splitboarding site and I didn't see a splitboard. Move along. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:32 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

My thoughts too! ;)

Good thing you had the hose insulation too.............looks FRIGID out!

All in good fun Otto! We appreciate your TRs and seeing someone lucky enough to get turns in the summer but surfing, backpacking, mtn biking, kid, etc stuff is cool to see too. Just no skiing!!! :lol:

Looks fun btw. :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:25 pm 

i must have missed something you said otto....

anyway its all good. looks like a fum time. i expect you PNW'ers to start posting pow filled TR's any day now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:09 pm 

Nice work Otto! We were thinking about hitting Diamond this weekend, but need to get ready for a backpack trip to the Snake River. The mountain still looks decent for mid-September, but the snow is going fast. Glad to hear you had a good time, even if the sun-cup monsters were out in force :)

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:53 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

Would you be happier if you saw pictures of some dolt skinning up a scree slope?

BTW, you're just mad that you aren't out snowboarding like me. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:54 pm 

stoudema wrote:
Nice work Otto! We were thinking about hitting Diamond this weekend, but need to get ready for a backpack trip to the Snake River. The mountain still looks decent for mid-September, but the snow is going fast. Glad to hear you had a good time, even if the sun-cup monsters were out in force :)

Is there even any snow on Diamond at this time of year?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 am 

Otto wrote:
Would you be happier if you saw pictures of some dolt skinning up a scree slope?

As opposed to a picture of some dolt's shadow on the trail?

Quote:
BTW, you're just mad that you aren't out snowboarding like me.

Sorry dude, I'd much rather go for a mtb ride than hike trail with a board on my back for a couple hundred feet of sun cupped turns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 am 

Hey man, I appreciate your efforts and suffering. I personally would have carried a splitboard all the up there, but I do understand that not everyone shares my love of splitbooting. Nice job on getting the mid-september snow. We're jealous in california because we still have 3 months of waiting ahead of us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 am 

Quote:
Is there even any snow on Diamond at this time of year?

There's some lines on the east face that may or may not be worth it (depending upon what you're into!). It's a long hike for about 1000 vertical, but it's not about the snow anyway, just getting out there. Unfortunately you can't take the mtn bike out on the PCT, or it'd be an easier approach....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Quote:
BTW, you're just mad that you aren't out snowboarding like me.

Sorry dude, I'd much rather go for a mtb ride than hike trail with a board on my back for a couple hundred feet of sun cupped turns.

That's why I am better than you. I snowboard all year, while you mess around with distractions like Mountain Bikes and other expensive hobbies. :twisted:

BTW, the ZigZag still boasts over 1500 vertical feet of decent. Suncups and all... But whatever, it's not as exciting as rolling down a hill on a bike, I guess. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:24 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Hey man, I appreciate your efforts and suffering. I personally would have carried a splitboard all the up there, but I do understand that not everyone shares my love of splitbooting. Nice job on getting the mid-september snow. We're jealous in california because we still have 3 months of waiting ahead of us.

Oh, I used to boot up the split, but I gave that up. There is not a real reason to bring the split, if I am not gonna split it, ya know? That little Palmer Honeycomb is so light, I can't not take it along. Now, maybe someday, I'll think of cutting it, but I heard the Honeycombs don't fare well when cut.

I just thought I would share some September snowboard action, since I still think (thought) that this site was all stoked on BC stuff...

Ecobrad's jealousy might prove me wrong though. :poke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 pm 

Otto wrote:
I just thought I would share some September snowboard action, since I still think (thought) that this site was all stoked on BC stuff...

Once you've been around here awhile you'll realize that most of us enjoy all outdoor stoke, even surfing.