Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VertFest ~ Alpental, Washington Splitboard Catagory
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:45 am 

Hello everyone,

After reading some responses on the Turns All Year website and hearing of interest from splitboarders I thought I would spread the word here. (Sorry for the double post also found on the Events page)

Alpental and Outdoor Research are teaming up to bring VertFest to the hills of the Central Cascades on Saturday March 29th, 2008.

I'm happy to report that a separate category and prizes for Splitters WILL happen.

The event takes place in effort to bring attention to and celebrate Human Powered Exploration of the backcountry while raising money to support the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center.

On March 1st VertFest occurred at Crystal Mountain and out of 64 racers we had two splitters. Both of them made excellent time and it was great to bring splitboarding to peoples attention.

The event is sanctioned by the US Ski Mountaineering Association and the course is being set by Martin Volken and the guides at Pro Guiding Service. For more information visit the following link:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/vertfest

Thanks to the sponsors of VertFest 2008: W.L. Gore, Pro Guiding Service, Marmot Mountain Works, MSR, Osprey, Black Diamond/Diamir, Off Piste Magazine, Backcountry Magazine, Garmont, and Lazy Boy Brewing. Without them VertFest can't happen.

Pray for snow, hope to see you there!

jeff greenwell
outdoor research
seattle, wa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:25 am 

Sounds fun Jeff, wish I lived closer.

Thanks for sharing the info with us. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:23 pm 

I appreciate that, I have done a couple of the Powder Kegs over the last 5 years. So many people have mixed feelings about creating a sport out of what we feel is our art. I enjoy setting goals and setting a goal to be in descent shape at a certain time of the year to represent splitters has always been enjoyable for me. Fact is we are at a major disadvantage compared to our brother skier, so it is nice to get that recognition. I think this will draw a lot more splitters.