Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: unofficial south coast scrubfest
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 am 

Looks unlikely that ill be able to commit to a hut trip this weekend

Count me in for both Fri & sun day trips at Whistler though! Paul, sent you a PM.

Shaping up to be a great week. Over 70cm in the past 2 days with another 2ft or more forecast by Tuesday, freezing levels staying in check through the week. Gonna be some DEEP conditions :bananas:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 am 

I'm open to the Duffey if I can make it work as a not too ambitious day trip, get some good skiing in, and hopefully be back in Vancouver in time to put my son to bed. Otherwise my fallback plan is the bumps. I'm familiar with the musical bumps area, much less so with Blackcomb, and I haven't been to the Duffey at all, so if we decide on the latter I'm open to suggestions from people who have spent some time up there before.

For people going to the Duffey, where are you staying? Which hut? What time/place are you meeting, any possible ski objectives in mind? Fill us in....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm 

Personally, I don't have anything etched in stone at this point, but roughly I'd like to head up to the Duffey area Fri/Sat/Sun. Looking to stay up there for the weekend, with a hut trip making the most sense, as I don't have an alternate place to stay.

Keith's Hut is likely the best option, though I'm not committed to anything. Should be pretty busy, but leaving Friday morning will ensure a spot in the hut.

Again, no objectives, no plan, just hoping to get out there and charge after a long spell of shit conditions and severe withdraw!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 am 

I like this plan a lot! My only reservation is stability.

http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/bulletins/l ... outh-coast
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weathe ... /index.htm

Seeing as how more snow is expected Thursday...I'm inclined to wait for updated bulletins before committing to avy terrain.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am 

Not sure I will make it either, due to some pain in my body that touring def wont help....

Anyways, I rode Blackcomb yesterday and was quickly reminded why I don't like that place, however there was 27 cm new snow, on top of a lot they got previous week, and they got 35 plus cm last night again. Seems they are getting more snow than forecasted lately. Duffey was looking really nice too as I passed through, was like driving through a tunnel for a few kms, so they definitely got a good chunk of new snow.

Things will definitely be sliding out there, but probably be manageable by the weekend if there isn't too much more new snow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 am 

My current plan is to ski Hollyburn tomorrow, and Whistler/Bumps on Fri. Should be two of us tomorrow, and maybe three of us on Fri.

The skiing should be excellent this weekend. I'm certainly no expert but here's my 2 cents on the conditions--

I agree, with all the new snow and wind we've had avy conditions are definitely a real concern and it could be quite variable depending on aspect and elevation. But I also think with sufficiently conservative terrain selection it should be possible to get some fun turns in safely. I guess the devil's always in the details.

KGN, give me a call if you change your mind about Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am 

Yeah I will send you a pm or drop a message here if I change my tune. Kinda wish I was at Whistler today with that new snow, but man it was so busy yesterday. Still, I got some good turns in with a little effort. I would love if not this weekend, to get to know the Whistler/Blackcomb backcountry a little better. I wish you could get a seasons pass for just that, instead of 42 bucks.

I did see off Blackcomb a skier triggered slide. I don't know the area well, was across a lake you come out too after a short little hike from the tbars, before you traverse out for a few kms. There was a helicopter parked on the lake, somebody said the guy triggered the slide and lost his skis, and was marooned on a cliff. Rescue didn't seem in a big hurry so I really don't know what was going on. There was previous lines around the area he triggered it, but it looks like he went just a little steeper, almost concave at the top, with cliff bands, and it ran all the way to the bottom.

It looked like a really shitty choice given the high avalanche danger.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:26 pm 

Yikes. Thanks for the heads up. Let's all keep it safe out there...

KGN wrote:
I did see off Blackcomb a skier triggered slide. I don't know the area well, was across a lake you come out too after a short little hike from the tbars, before you traverse out for a few kms. There was a helicopter parked on the lake, somebody said the guy triggered the slide and lost his skis, and was marooned on a cliff. Rescue didn't seem in a big hurry so I really don't know what was going on. There was previous lines around the area he triggered it, but it looks like he went just a little steeper, almost concave at the top, with cliff bands, and it ran all the way to the bottom.

It looked like a really shitty choice given the high avalanche danger.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm 

There are a few spots still available for reservations at the Wendy Thompson hut for Friday night only, and I just booked two for myself and VanRider. And there's options for day tripping up Rohr Ridge and others in the same area if anyone else is looking for a spot to hit on Friday for the day.

The area is incredibly varied, with lots of options for terrain, including plenty of safe trees. We'll be playing it conservative, but with the amount of new snow, coupled with wind-affected alpine, fun trees is exactly what I'll be looking for!

Me thinks it's gonna to be a good 'un for us South Coasters this weekend. Play safe!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:38 am 

Was up Rohr ridge yesterday. Super stable - no sluffs, no slides. Thigh deep trail breaking, but bottomless the whole way down. 4500ft of face shots. No one else around...

Got some work on this Friday and Saturday so will have to pass. Have fun wherever y'all end up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:43 pm 

hey all,

hope that the get together went well in whatever form it took. posting here to hopefully find some people to start touring with regularly and show me the ropes. i'm a van area noob splitter but i have been riding for 15 years. went for my first real tour today at hollyburn mtn and had a blast even though we f'ed up on the way down and ended up taking a pretty lame route. i'm looking for people to show me around any of the daytrips doable from van - elfin lakes, musical bumps, stuff around cypress and seymour, baker... i've also heard great things about the duffey road stuff although i hear that usually requires an overnight stay which i don't think i'm equipped for yet but i'm willing to invest in some camping stuff to get to the goods if need be. i have avy gear, took my AST1 last winter, have passes to both cypress and whistler, can usually get out on weekdays if i have a bit of notice, and am willing to chip in for gas/beer in return for noob tolerance. let me know if you're down!

thanks,
kaston

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 am 

Well, given we've just had some of the best conditions in a long time, I'm sure some of you were out harvesting the goods these past several days. Anyone get out to anything really cool? We all know it was good, deep, absurdly deep, but if there's any photographic evidence, post it up!

Friday we skied whistler bumps, met up with Snowguy. It was bonkers, so deep, too good to take any action shots. I got some scenic and standing around shots, but haven't uploaded them yet. You'll just have to trust me, it was super deep and light. I was licking my chops after every run, literally, massive face shots. Good stuff.

I got a few shots at Hollyburn on Thursday, which was really good, and on Sunday it was still fun but there were some crusty patches.

Thurs--

Andbrown

Tortoise backside lip schwack

Sunday--

Ben trying out the booter. I quite like this one.

The view was nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 pm 

ha tortoise, i have the EXACT same pics from hollyburn. i was up there on sunday morning too. we probably just missed each other. i remember passing that kicker and thinking it was built really weirdly with the landing totally perpendicular to the jump.

here are a couple of mine. no riding pics as we took a wrong turn from the top and ended up on the snowshoe trail to get down.

after a bail on a downhill part of the track. i guess i'm going to have to learn how to ski a bit: