Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unofficial south coast scrubfest
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 am 

There seems to be some interest in having an informal meetup of some people in and around the lower mainland area, possibly somewhere around the Feb 18, 19, 20 time frame, could be at Whistler, could be at a bunch of places.

I guess there's really three important questions--

1) Are you in?
2) Where?
3) When?

For the where, Whistler is one option for sure. But I think it would also be a good idea to have a plan B, and maybe even a place C in case the weather and visibility is really lousy. I'll throw Coquihalla out there as another option. I wouldn't be able to do a overnight hut trip, so my vote would be for an easy access day trip, but if people want to do a hut thing, then by all means do.

If enough people are onboard, maybe we can split into two groups depending on level of experience and interest. There's undoubtedly people here that have way more experience and knowledge of the area than I do. I'm just trying to get the discussion rolling.

Cheers,
Paul

Post subject: Re: unofficial south coast scrubfest
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 am 

Sweet dude, thanks for getting this rolling!

I know a couple guys have reading break next week, and I have the second half of the week off. Looking like a heavy storm is rolling in this weekend through next week, so it's shaping up to be an epic one!

I would lean more towards a couple days in the Duffey than the lifts at Whistler. Saves a few bucks, and feels more appropriate for a proper split gathering. We could see if there's space at a Pemberton hostel, but my preference would be a hut trip, if the numbers work. If gear is an issue for anyone, Mec can rent anything needed for the weekend, probably cheaper than a backcountry pass at Whistler or two nights in a hostel.

Of course this would only make sense if there were 4/5/6 maybe 7 people, I would think.

As you say, I'll let the veterans give their thoughts, and for whatever makes sense, I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am 

I'm in. I'm not available Sat the 19th but am free before and after. I'm game for riding anywhere from Coquihalla to Duffey and will happy go where the group decides. From a budget perspective I'm more inclined to hut/camp/cheap motel and touring vs Whistler accommodation and one-up passes, although I could certainly afford one day in the slack country.

[quote="tortoise"]There seems to be some interest in having an informal meetup of some people in and around the lower mainland area, possibly somewhere around the Feb 18, 19, 20 time frame, could be at Whistler, could be at a bunch of places.

I guess there's really three important questions--

1) Are you in?
2) Where?
3) When?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm 

1) I'm in! No car but I can rent one or compensate you with gallons of beer for a lift.
2) Don't care! (I'll leave this up to the locals)
3) Feb18-20 works perfectly for me.

Mark
mark.carver.1979@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 pm 

A hut trip sounds awesome but I'm pretty sure my wife would not be down with that, with the kids and all. I haven't been to the Duffey, but I suppose I should fix that. As long as I can get to/from the hut and still have time to get some riding in as a daytrip, I'll be stoked.

Fri the 18th is good for me because my son's in daycare, so as far as my wife is concerned, I could just as well be at work. On the weekend, I think I could do a day trip Sat or Sun but not both.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm 

Count me in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:06 pm 

I'm in. I can do any of the above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm 

I'd love to do a hut trip, but realistically, what are our chances of getting a hut on a weekend? I'm not sure what huts you guys have in mind...are they first-come, first-served?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 am 

tortoise wrote:
1) Are you in?
2) Where?
3) When?

1. Definitely

2. Im based in Whistler but happy to travel elsewhere for this. Agree its more appropriate for a split gathering to be away from the lifts, and probably works out cheaper for most as well. Duffey sounds pretty good to me, but ill be stoked wherever this goes down. I also have a large van if anyone needs a lift or wants to carpool, the more the merrier!

3. I work nights so im free for day trips on any of the proposed dates. A hut trip sounds great too, i would just need some notice on the date to make sure i can get out of a nights work.

cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 am 

I agree the Duffey hut/hostel sounds like an appropriate place for a proper gathering. However, as much as I'd like to, I can't do an overnighter. I'm definitely keen for a day trip in the Whistler or Sea to Sky area on Fri Feb 18th and Sun the 20th.

I propose we split into two groups--

The main group can go to the Duffey. Pros: lots of good options, some bigger/longer potential objectives, hut experience. Cons: Further from city (if that applies to you), somewhat more effort to get to the goods (compared to Whistler).

The second smaller group can come with me to ski The Bumps behind Whistler on Friday the 18th. Pros: Easy/minimal effort to get to the goods, fun glades and moderate open slopes, straightforward route finding, can get it all to yourself on weekdays. Cons: $43 backcountry lift ticket (if you don't have a pass or edgecard days to burn), can get crowded on weekends.

If the visibility and avy conditions are good, then the bigger glaciated terrain behind Blackcomb is another very fine option. This is a big area with endless possibilities. I've been back there but I'm less familiar with the area. If someone else is inclined to show us around that's definitely another good option.

On Sunday, I'll probably do another day trip, TBD.

So everybody pick a group. If you want to join the Duffey hut/hostel group, send a PM to Jonesybones. If you want to join me in the day trip group, send me a PM. Or you could even do both if you want, e.g. if you're not staying in the hut.

Cheers,
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:58 am 

techstyle wrote:
I'd love to do a hut trip, but realistically, what are our chances of getting a hut on a weekend? I'm not sure what huts you guys have in mind...are they first-come, first-served?

Yes, the huts are first come first served. I think Keith's hut is pretty popular. They do get crowded and fill up on weekends, but if you get up there early on Friday I guess you should be able to get a spot?? No guarantees.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm 

In case you haven't already been paying attention, next week is starting to look really good--

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec2.html

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp2.html

If anyone wants to go out on a day other than or in addition to the previously discussed dates, PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 pm 

Hey,

Just caught wind of this posting. Id be up for a day trip in the Duffey, any of the days. This weekend is looking decent for snow, hopefully the temps stay on the cooler side. Im pretty close to the Duffey, about 60 kms or so to most of the main riding areas. I would actually be up for Whistler too, as I dont know that area very well, and I know theres lots of good turns to be had there as well. Im just a little less fond of Whistler because of their crazy prices, that being said I do ride there when theres a big big dump. It is the closest lift access for me, even at 2.5 hours drive...

Cheers :guinness: