Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - 3.1.2008 Eastern Sierra - Spook

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.1.2008 Eastern Sierra - Spook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:53 pm 

Spook Canyon, Eastern Sierra, CA. 3.1.2008

was supposed to work all weekend this weekend. the company i work for was moving their offices. being an IT guy we were in charge of moving anything with a plug and making sure it worked on the other side. well fri comes along and at about 7pm my boss says take saturday off. we were ahead of schedule. i couldnt believe it, so i ran home and by 8 was packed up and heading to the mtns. packing for me really just involves taking the pile in my garage and hucking it in the back of the truck. :D

i attempted this line a couple weeks back but was stopped at the bottom by some exposed rock bands that would involve some technical climbing to get above, or so i thought. well this time i was able to make it with a little luck and determination.

oh and i dont know why the heck this is called the east peak of mt perkins, i guess i picked that up from moynier's book. mt perkins is in the area but i really think this peak deserves a name of it's own.

nuking north winds were filling in this east facing route with some nice new wind transported snow.

obligatory sunrise shot. the hike starts around 5700ft. and it was a very short hike - 600ft - to start skinning. the conditions in the lower canyon were not great but i was happy there was still some snow. it had been pretty warm all week down in the valley.

this was the exposed rock section that would make or break my day. i used some ledges and cracks to the right of this pic to get above this. it was a little hairy climbing with my pack and snowboard boots, but not as bad as i thought it would be.

the debris at the bottom of this upper section was nowhere near as bad as the stuff down lower, and it was getting filled in nicely by the blowing snow. standing there looking up at what lay ahead i was very stoked to know i would finally be getting this thing done.

interesting colorful canyon walls

this thing just goes on and on and on

the conditions were mixed but there was about 2000ft of very good light "fresh" wind transported snow. it really made the ride down.

this line does go from the summit but due to the high winds i did not get up there. plus it was getting stripped from the winds and the snow above 11kft was not very good. i think it would be pretty rare for all the conditions to align to get this line continuously from the summit in good shape. also it must take a huge snow year and some serious avy cycles to fill in that lower rock band. still i would like to go back sometime and ride it from the top all the way into the sagebrush in one shot. all in all i was very stoked to have gotten this one done and made the most of my 1 day off. i got back to LA in the wee hours of the morning and worked very hard all day today. the whole time i was smiling thinking about where i was and what i did yesterday 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 am 

F2oh and another great TR. Great timing on the maximization of your surprise day off. I think your packing sounds similar to mine. My wife calls it the shit pile. It really is a set of intermingled piles of various gear for different purposes. Often it may only take a few moments to throw it in the truck. So you rode that from 11k down about 6k? That is super.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 am 

Killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:17 am 

Very nice Dave. Your killing that part of the Sierras this year. I'm gonna do my best to help document some too, tomorrow!
At least your clmbing section looked like stellar granite!
Your insane for making that drive so much, but of course it's well worth it.

Thnx for the info last night.
Am heading that way in an hour or so. Still undecided. I think I'm either going to cardinal chutes/s. side of split (ride whatever looks best. this has different options and due to nuking winds i probably want options) or gonna check out an east facing line on mt. bolton brown.

deciding is always the crux of any trip for me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:09 pm 

Jesus. That is a hell of a couloir.

is this an optical illusion. :?

Saturday was a very windy day wasn't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 pm 

Your trip reports are pretty awesome, you are one crazy hiker and a hell of a photographer! I love those night pictures you take! Is this like the 4rth weekend in a row or what!?
My question is, how do you handle the altitude?? I think my head would explode. I need at least a day of acclimatisation for altitudes like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm 

Way to hit it fullers. That was probably as good a call as any concerning the wind that day, got really bad that evening. My responsibilities have been driving me crazy, I have got to get out this weekend or even take a week day off. Let me know if you are coming up.