Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.6.2008 Eastern Sierra - Lookout Point
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:28 pm 

Lookout Point, Eastern Sierra, CA. 01.06.2008

Epic powder weekend continued with this little hill called lookout point. Normally I wouldnt even give this one a second thought as there are so many other bigger and more attractive lines in the area. However I needed to be back in LA by a reasonable time. I chose this one because it was fairly easy to access with a minimal approach and low elevation "summit"; of about 9600ft. With the low snow I still had to start before the end of the road, a little over 6000ft.

It was amazingly beautiful in the Owens Valley this morning

The chosen route is the gully in the center of the pic. There was about 3/4 of a mi. approach skinning on the road and thru some sagebrush.

I mentioned earlier the more attarctive lines in the area. This is yet another in a long long list. Spook canyon on the east peak of Mt. Perkins. Will get this one done soon enough. Its filling in nicely. With the low snow that thing is about 5000 vertical ft! Some other spots very close by that I have been to are the Pinnacle Gully and Armstrong Canyon. Both amazing places worth some spending time to seek out.

South Sierra locals.

Looking north to some very white White mtns. Crazy lava hill in the foreground.

Skinning up the lower part of the gully. That snow line is nice and low!

Entrance to the upper section

Skinning up into the trees. This part was a mystery to me. I couldnt see it from down low but studying it on the topo it looked good. Once up there it was proving to shape up quite nicely.

Looking up. Some beautiful big trees up there.

Looking down. I couldnt wait to run those trees!

This being a solo mission I didnt get any riding shots. So here are the lame track shots.

Lookout Pt. "summit";In the morning it was relatively calm but as the day went on it got much colder, the winds really kicked up and it was snowing on and off. I stayed off the summit due to some intense gusts but you can ride from just below the top. Overall this was an amazing day and well exceeded my expectations which was just to make it back to the truck at the end of the day.

This is Division creek powerhouse with Lookout pt. in the background. I love this section of the Sierra. Its so remote in this area. Other than tiny Aberdeen this is the only sign of civilization, and of course the 395. Sometimes when I drive thru here at night I see the lone orange light from the power house. It beckons to me calling me to this area, and acts as a beacon shining its lonely light on the emptiness of this part of the Owens Valley. Till next time......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:25 pm 

Righteous shit man!
Solo missions like those are the best imo. Especially w/ the mystical setting of low snow and clouds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 pm 

Ooops. Posted twice. (won't let me delete. wtf?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:58 am 

What beautiful pics!! I've never been in the Owens Valley with the snow that low and it is breathtaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 am 

Nice pics...still not as much snow as I thought we'd have from this last system.

any LA people every check out Sherman Pass area north of Kernville? Thru Kernville is more of the back way in but the Kennedy Meadows road is pretty wild to drive up.
dirt bikers call the area Kennedy Meadows as you pass it going up to Mammoth. Dome Wilderness area, etc.
It's a killer spot, snow is good right now too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:13 am 

hey mtnrider yeah as a PCT hiker im very familiar with that whole area up around kennedy meadows, it is an amazingly beautiful area. i have hiked thru the domeland and drove that sherman pass rd as well as the dirt rd scenic byway out to the 158. that whole section of the south sierra is very remote and wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 am 

great stuff! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 pm 

fullers2oh wrote:
hey mtnrider yeah as a PCT hiker im very familiar with that whole area up around kennedy meadows, it is an amazingly beautiful area. i have hiked thru the domeland and drove that sherman pass rd as well as the dirt rd scenic byway out to the 158. that whole section of the south sierra is very remote and wild.

I work a lot :x but we should hook up for some turns sometime. I'd like to follow you around...no secret spots of course :wink: