Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silverton Avalanche school
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 pm 

Hi long time lurker first time poster. Just getting into it really, got a pieps dsp on the way, and my wife got me the best present ever for my bday a trip to silverton for the silverton avalanche course. I'm very excited, I just recently noticed that silverton mountain has their own course as well. Has anyone gone through either course, and wanna give me some things I can do to prepare? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Silverton Avalanche school
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:20 am 

so nobody's been to either course? I'm going to call silverton mountain tomorrow and see what the deal is with their backcountry 101 course, seems pretty good, "designed for the backcountry traveler not the snow scientist" and its billed as an alternative to avalanche level two. I'd like to do that course sounds more hands on less classroom. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Silverton Avalanche school
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 pm 

I took a level 2 at Silverton Mountain a few years back. While there is no such thing as a bad avy course, I found the level 1 courses I've taken in AK (I've also taken courses in CA and CO) to be more comprehensive (this particular course was geared towards heli guides). I took the level 2 course in CO, as opposed to here in CA, as I believe there is more to be learned by digging pits in a continental snowpack. Silverton experienced a pretty good early season that winter, but it was late Nov. or early Dec. when I was there and there wasn't much snow for digging, which probably had some effect on my experience. I would recommend going a bit later in the season if possible. In the meantime, do lots of digging, check the local avy forecast, and compare what you are seeing in the snow with what the avy center says. For the course, bring plenty of layers and extra gloves - you'll spend lots of time digging and getting sweaty, and then stand around for a while. While I can't compare the two courses you are thinking about, I'm sure either would be beneficial if you continue to utilize what you learn afterwards.