Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tahoe Area AIRIE Level 1 Class for Super Cheap ($16)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:27 pm 

I just heard from the Wilderness Education Director at Lake Tahoe Community College that they will run another AIRIE Level 1 class the weekend of March 24th.

I took this class in Feb. alongside dfinn and Fassnor o' the golden boots. I thought the class was great. There are four hours of classroom instruction on Friday night from 6-10 PM. Saturday morning we spent four more hours in the classroom and then after lunch we practiced beacon searching in the snow on campus. On Sunday we met at Carson Pass and practiced routefinding skills as we headed toward Lake Winnemucca. We stopped for lunch and learned about snow pits & how to do compression tests. After lunch we dug our own pits and participated in a big mock rescue scenario before heading back. I think this is a pretty standard Level 1 curriculum.

Anyway, the best part is the price. I paid $16.75 for this course, which costs $300 at any of the mountaineering schools. The course is March 24 - 26 at Lake Tahoe Community College. The course number is WLD131A. I looked for it online at http://www.ltcc.edu, but I couldn't find it in the online catalog yet. Maybe they can register you if you call them? At any rate, if you're interested you should get on it right away because this course will fill up fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:31 pm 

Great class, highly recommend it. Especially at that price. I wish they would do a AIRE level 2.