Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JAmie Pierre dies in early season avalanche
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:33 am 

Chef_Ben wrote:
does the chosen line seem like a better idea because of more anchors?

My opinion is that the logic of riding somewhere because it is more anchored is flawed. This would be in the context of having strong hard slabs sitting on a weak layer that would actually be locked into anchoring trees etc. Yes, you are more likely to get away with it, but a small pocket release throws you through the blender of trees and rocks, and the focus should be more on the slab gaining a strong connection to the snow under it. If one is inclined to ride dicey snowpacks, you have already given up on being rational about the "safer line." That said the best line would be the avalanche path most likely to be survivable, a real good helmet, airbag and some strong diggers, someone with a WFR cert and easy access for rescue and evacuation.

Sometimes it makes sense for a conservative thinker to ride tight (not good spaces- trees) because you can have less formation of surface hoar and less wind slab in truly tight trees, but not b/c of anchoring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
the risk is the fun part.
With all due respect to Shrednar and to the deceased, I don't share this sentiment at all :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 pm 

Such a sad start to the season. Just goes to show that everyone is vulnerable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:59 pm 

this is really sad. and the more i think about, the more confused i become for a couple reasons.
first: UACs forecast had been consistently indicating the dangers they found. did they not check UACs forecast? the forecast would have certainly convinced me to at least carry avy gear. (Edit to say, it sounds as though they didn't check the forecast.)
second: the report said they remotely triggered at least one other slide (Edit, a quite large slide, and it sounds as if they may or may not have realized this) as they were hiking in. this would have been enough information to me to turn around and go home. i can't imagine what they were thinking as they decided to continue.
sad and confusing to me.

UACs report: http://utahavalanchecenter.org/accident ... y_11132011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Saying that someone has no "formal" avalanche training can draw the wrong conclusion. I myself have never taken a formal avalanche class. I have 13 years of backcountry experience and have read many leather bound books on the subject. I've had experiences that I feel cannot be gained from a classroom, and have developed my own mindset for my personal acceptable levels of risk.

While I agree with you on this point, it makes no sense that anybody educated, either by class, effective studying, experience or any combination would put themselves at risk with no avy or first aid gear - let alone not even checking the avy report.

The report pictures are brutal, that was a LOT of rocks to get dragged over. Helmet or no helmet, I'd still guess this was either a head/neck injury that caused the fatality.

RIP Jamie and thanks for the ride...I feel worse for his kids :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 am 

While ascending out of the Peruvian Cirque they remotely triggered a large avalanche that covered their tracks that they had just made. It's unclear whether they realized they had triggered this large avalanche.

Looking at the pic it seems they should've been buried in the PC. How can you not know you set off something that big? This is really confusing (scary).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am 

The paper here in Minnesota actually called Jamie a snowboarder. Jamie's brother works with a good friend at QBP out, so as you can imagine the papers jump on the sensation.

Jamie's in a good place...His Karma will carry on, and shred again.. as are all of our fellow BC rippers whom have lost their lives in search of shred.

I do always feel worse for the family, and friends that are left behind.

Stay safe peeps

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm 

mjd wrote:
While ascending out of the Peruvian Cirque they remotely triggered a large avalanche that covered their tracks that they had just made. It's unclear whether they realized they had triggered this large avalanche.

Looking at the pic it seems they should've been buried in the PC. How can you not know you set off something that big? This is really confusing (scary).

i'm guessing the report means their boot track got covered with deposition, not 'tracks' as if they were riding the cirque. the picture shows their boot pack up, so it either simpathetically released below them while ascending or once they gained the ridge and before JPs descent into Gad valley. it's easier than you think to trigger a slide and not notice it, especially in those conditions.

very sad indeed... RIP JP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
I don't share this sentiment at all :twocents:

i agree