Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR: Star Peak, 'June Couloir'
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:11 pm 

5/2/2009

Conditions were less than desirable Saturday Morning. Nevertheless, I had traveled all the way out to Friends Hut with the intention of making an attempt at the June Couloir, so the four of us headed up into a blizzard just to see how far we could get.

We could barely see a hundred yards in front of us, but fortunately there is a prominent North-South ridge that practically leads from the hut to the summit of Star Peak. With the ridge on our right side, we continued to head in a due north direction.

Visibility was bad

After an hour of skinning, conditions weren't any better. Two of our party members decided to head back down to the hut. Ross and I continued onward. Eventually I started to visualize dark rocky outcropping dividing the snow chutes on the ridge. More fortunately, actually a Godsend, was that I had torn out a great photo of Star Peak from Lou Dawson's Book. Together, we would constantly study the photo and imagine what the peak would look like if we could actually see it. For those who haven't seen it, Star Peak is a triangular mountain face with a long ridge swooping down to the (looker's) right. From this ridge, multiple chutes drop down like 'fingers' to the apron below. As you look from right to left, the chutes get longer as the ridge gets higher. In the exact middle, the longest chute goes directly to the summit. This is the June Couloir, our destination.

When the slope started to increase dramatically, we figured we were on the apron of the south face of Star Peak. However, we did not know how much farther to the west we would have to travel to find the couloir. The only way to know was to climb up the apron until we found the first chute. Then we had to study the photo and count off each chute as we traversed across the apron. Finally, we were certain we had found the June Couloir!

Entering the June Couloir

Typically, upon arriving at the base of a couloir, I am apprehensive about the challenge ahead. This time, however, I felt as if the challenge of navigating our way to the base of the couloir was the greater challenge. With that task behind us, we raged right into the chute headfirst. I was confident that we would succeed in making the summit in short time.

About halfway up

Although the snow continued to fall, the visibility was better in the protected couloir. Snow conditions were good for climbing. We did not need crampons as we were able to kick into the few inches of fresh snow that had fallen recently. However, there was a layer of bulletproof melt/freeze below the new snow, and with no sun to warm the surface, the snowboard descent would be hazardous.

The final pitch

It was a long climb, but I have to thank my partner Ross for leading every pitch. About 3/4 of the way up, we came out to a larger snowfield with a few options. Again I consulted Dawson's photo. The direct line up appeared to be very rocky, and the line to the left held more snow. Regardless, we kept up the center line, and found our way to the summit.

The team on the summit!

On the summit, we couldn't see much of the surrounding mountains. After studying our options, we decided to descend from the line that branched out to the left when we were climbing (hiking down the ridge to our right).

The drop in was very steep and icy. I was pretty rattled after my slide last week on James Peak, so I side-slipped my way down. The snow started to get better after the first hundred feet, although we still made very careful jump turns on the 'dust on crust' conditions. After some very careful snowboarding, we found ourselves back on the apron, rejoicing at our accomplishments!

Ross making the descent

As we descended down to the hut, the mountain once again disappeared into the white fog, like a mirage. Fortunately, while on the skin out the following day, I was able to finally see the mountain in all its glory.

Star Peak. Now you can see the distinctive 'fingers' leading from right to left, and the 'June Couloir' that goes to the summit.

A close-up of the June Couloir and our climb (red) and descent (green)

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject: Re: TR: Star Peak, 'June Couloir'
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:54 pm 

:thumpsup: reiner; handlin' it

Post subject: Re: TR: Star Peak, 'June Couloir'
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:51 am 

I'd have bailed with the first two that left...but the smiles on the summit say it all! Well done fellas...