All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR - Emperor Couloir, Torreys Peak, 14 Jun 07
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:56 pm 

Date: 14 June 2007
Peak: Torreys Peak
Ascent Route: Ridge walk from Loveland Pass
Descent Route: Emperor Couloir
Riders: Kjkrow and Brandon

We met at Morrison Road and 470 at 5:30, then drove up Grizzly Gulch to about a half mile below the Emperor Apron and left a car, then it was off to Loveland Pass.

Brandon with Continental Divide in the background:

The ridge walk was fun, and it's great to start out at 12,000 feet. It was all straight forward and the climb up to Grizzly went by quick.

Conditions of the Tuning Fork:

We weren't sure which descent route we would ski, with the options being the Tuning Fork or Emperor. Both looked to be in good shape considering it's mid June, and we decided to wait till the summit to make the call after checking out the entrances to both.

From the summit of Grizzly, we walked downt the ridge and I was able to ride a snowpatch for 300-400 feet which Brandon opted to glissade. Then the slog up Torreys' West Ridge dragged on and on. We searched for trail, but no luck, so it was 1,300 feet of mixed talus, scree, tundra, and snow. Once on the upper ridge, the climb tapered off and got much more enjoyable.

Looking down the best entrance into the Tuning Fork:

It's in good shape, but doesn't go from the true summit. This was about 100 yards down the ridge, and was still rocky, but wouldn't be too hard to drop into.

From the summit, looking down on the knife edge on Kelso Ridge and the entrance to Dead Dog:

On top, I read the Whiskey Speech and the Cremation of Sam McGee, great little pieces that I picked up from a guide in the Maze District of Canyonlands NP. They can be found here:
http://www.secondbreakfast.net/archives/000246.html
http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/2640/?letter=C&spage=26

Looking down the rollover into Emperor:

Rather than opt for the chute down the fall line, which appeared to either close out or have a tight choke, we traversed one chute to the left and dropped in.

Brandon:

Kjkrow:

The skiing was long and fun, though there is a quickly rotting rock band in the middle that will be melted within a week probably. Other than, it's continous almost down to the creek. A short walk across the creek and down to the car to finish off the day.

I rode Hagar Mtn today, and we're shooting for Northstar on North Arapahoe tomorrow. As of now, I've ridden 8 of the 15 days in June, and hope to keep it above 50% until I leave for Seattle on the 18th. If we get Northstar, I should be at 9 of 17, so hopefully I make it.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:56 am 

Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:22 pm 

9 out of 17 days in June?!
That would be some strong work!

Yes, the Emperor is one of the better lines..... not too many places in CO where you can get a sustained steep couloir over 3,000 ft.
Nice one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:34 pm 

Awesome TR bro. I really like the way you planned the route from LP over Grizzly and down Emperor. Sounds like an instant classic!

Good luck in Seattle. We'll be losing one of the most reliable Colorado "TR-ers" on this board to the Northwest.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com