Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wolf Creek recon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 pm 

Sorry in advance for lack of action shots :cry: Just a few scenic ones.

After getting some great info and encouragement from fellow splitter Killclimbz (Thanks man!) We headed down to Wolf Creek Pass for some exploratory riding. It had recently received around three feet and the weather was cold but sunny. We set out to explore an area that Killclimbz had described as "Freakin' STEEP!, psychotically steep trees". The access to this area is incredibly easy, and it's what you can't see from the parking area that's so sweet.
In route to this mythical place...Image
Here's a view along the way...Wolf Creek ski area to to lookers left.Image
The snow was super soft and no one else around. Upon cresting the hill, we saw this. Oh Yeah!
Unfortunately for us, as we neared the edge we saw this :shock: Image
The whole bowl had ripped out a couple of days before. Not just this section, but approximately 1/2 mile around the entire drainage headwall which you will see in another photo. This thing was HUGE! Not sure what triggered it, assuming natural because we didn't see any other tracks going in or coming out. We did manage to find this steep tree shot that led to the runout and beyond, and were able to find some undisturbed snow to salvage the run.
Looking back at another section of the headwall...
You can see the fracture line in the sun which continued left through the trees and out of the frame for a looooong ways. Image
After skinning up a short but steep pitch we cruised through some old growth trees back to the summit, re-connected and rode down through a very nice gladed pitch to the first saddle we came across earlier in the day. Sorry no more pics. We split again to gain another highpoint and rode down what is called the Powerline. At this point I need to say that Killclimbz recommended we skip this one, which I ignored, and later paid the price. This run which is 2 miles long and roughly 1800 vert takes one back to the highway. Sounds nice, but it wasn't so straight forward. Luckily I was able to stay in board mode, but my partner had to change over several times in order to re-gain the fall line. This is how he was feeling after that... :evil:
All in all it was a great day. The potential in this area is off the charts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 pm 

Nice recon trip!

I hope I make it down there sometime with Killclimbz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:52 pm 

Nice! I am jealous you guys got to go down into the Gibbs Creek drainage. Both times I was down there two years ago, it was way too sketch to even think about it. That drainage is so narrow you could get buried under 80ft of snow. Three feet of snow in 48hrs both times just doesn't make that one a wise play.

The road runs can be a bit of a pain for sure. I am looking forward to getting down there this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:26 pm 

Cool pics man, recon is good! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:11 pm 

thanks for the report, thats an impressive slide, what day do you think it ripped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm 

Not to sure, we were there on Saturday and the previous storm that week had wrapped up Thursday I believe. It had snowed around three inches of incredibly dry snow since it ran, so I'm thinking Wednesday. Impressive it was!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:02 pm 

That's an impressive slide...and nice looking terrain. For some reason I had it in my head that WC was much flatter.

Thanks for the recon and good TR.