Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monarch Pass 2-18-06
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:41 am 

So last Saturday the 19th I made the long journey down to Monarch pass. They had gotten a foot of snow in the past week, and the lack of traffic there made the drive worth it.
Our first drop was into a Southeast facing bowl, which has a mini golf course cliff line towards the bottom.
Evan enjoyed some turns at the top.
Then we questioned slope stability below the rocks, Evan stepped up and decided to test the slope for us.
Yep, snow is stable.
Todd stuck his landing (so did I but no film) way to represent snowboarding!
Scott on the other hand...
Then it was time to check out Pecker bowl on the North face of Mt Peck.
Skinning out to the Peak.
Some of the great looking chutes on the way out to Mt Peck. Not as big as vert, but so many lines. I think the next stable period we get down there, I'll spend some time yo yo-ing on these.
Peck Peak in the background.
We dug a pit on the bowl and get pretty solid results. So it was a greenlight to drop it, one at a time of course.
Vince Laying down some turns.
and Scott.
Evan.
Todd laying down some nice tracks.
Dave (fortysix&2)just behind him.
Scene of our crime
We then skinned back to the Radio Tower area and went out the point skiers right. I didn't realize it had such nice steep chutes. Probably the best lines of the day. Dave getting it on.
A loot at the point we came down.
And our lines. Dave and I did the lookers right line, the rest of the crew went to the left. Both were super nice lines and I am looking forward to doing them again.
It was a perfect day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:14 am 

Hey there killclimbz, I had a feeling it was you and your crew out there on Saturday. We tried to make small talk with you guys and share in your stoke but just weren't getting it back?? Anyway, glad you guys had a good day, definately nice out there. btw, its called the Pecker Face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:41 am 

sawatchsplitter wrote:
Hey there killclimbz, I had a feeling it was you and your crew out there on Saturday. We tried to make small talk with you guys and share in your stoke but just weren't getting it back?? Anyway, glad you guys had a good day, definately nice out there. btw, its called the Pecker Face.

Sorry man :oops: didn't mean to be short. With six in our crew it was just a bit much. We had just been calling it Pecker Bowl since there really isn't a guide for the area. I will call it Pecker face now. Where did you guys end up after the Pecker adventure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:03 pm 

No worries bro, I was just psyched to see other splitters in the area (not too many around here) and wanted to shoot the bull. It was a short day for us, after Peck we headed over to the Monarch saloon for some brews before getting back to the fams.
Next time you head this way, let me know, maybe we can get up and ride together. Lots of goodies in the area (looks like you found one of them after Pecker Face)! :wink: Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:43 pm 

I will definitely shoot you a PM when next time we go. I've been touring Monarch for about 3 years now. Really good stuff there. I hadn't done the chutes off of that point, due to avy danger. So it was really nice to finally get some lines done there. Some of the best I have done on the pass too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:22 pm 

Sounds good, look forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:57 pm 

Great day. Thanks for the tour Gary. Great way to ride the area. And thanks to Vince and Evan for breaking trail!

I love the softboot setup...aside from the binding issues. I'm psyched to change out the bindings with the techs.

Sawatchsplitter,
Sorry about the quick exit. I would have loved to chat. I live in Fairplay, and I would love to do more stuff down there. We should hook up in the near future. I try to get out sat or sun. Maybe this weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:12 am 

Hey 46&2, no sweat about last weekend. Sat and Sun's are my days off too. My bro and I try to hit the pass or other areas at least once a weekend. I'm not sure about this weekend though as we are planning an overnight next weekend and we have to play fair with our wives (meaning we might have to sacrifice this weekend). Anyway, let's definately try to get up sometime. Are you and Killclimbz going to Splitfest next month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:15 pm 

I hear you about spouse-management. I'm going to try to hit up splitfest, but work has me real busy right now. And, the snow is so sweet here...hard to want to go anywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:45 am 

Well guys, I was up here yesterday and some jack leg snowmobilers have high arced all over the face. What a shame. First time I've seen it in this area, I can only hope it was out-of-towners...