Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RED LAKES PEAK REVISITED MAY28
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 pm 

As I had expected earlier, friday may 28 was to be the day. Not quite June but close enough. Parking at the end of the forest service road that services Red Lakes Peak it was a cool 25 degrees with about 6 inches of new at the car at around 7200ft. It was blue bird and my 63 yr old partner was there waiting for me. The last time we climbed together at echo lake he had a heart attack and this was my first time out with him in 5 years. Having lost over half of his heart capacity I was a little worried if he could make the first 100 yds. I was nicely surprised when he made it up to 9000ft +. Not quite the summit but a milestone for him. A single splitboarder had already made good work of the summit anyway. I measured the depth there at about 13 inches. The snow was beginning to turn so we quickly switched over and began our descent. I decided to again cut the steep face below us and sure enough just like last week the whole thing let loose. We stuck to low angles back to the car where hi 5's were in order since neither of us had skied pow this late in May ever. It looks like June may be in order next....jim

Post subject: Re: RED LAKES PEAK REVISITED MAY28
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:02 am 

Way to get it, With the weather as it is in Tahoe Lately I am expecting some June pow turns as well