Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Prior Backcountry W/ Hybird Rocker.....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 pm 

This is my second Prior Backcountry. I was super pleased with my first so I bought the same thing for my new stick but now it has Hybird Rocker! :thatrocks:

The old stick had probably 200+ days on it, but was still going strong... It will now be used to show others that splitboarding is the answer!

Kinda cool that they put your name on a build-to-order board!

They decreased the set-back for me and added one more set of inserts to the front foot so it can be mounted up centered without having to go super narrow...

All ready to go!

After a couple of days out on it I can say I'm sold on their Hybird Rocker! It still skins just fine and the rocker does the trick, today was 8"-10" of classic Utah 5%-7% density snow and the board stayed right on top of it with no problems!

Post subject: Re: New Prior Backcountry W/ Hybird Rocker.....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm 

God Damn, that is a fuggin SIIIIIICK board!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 am 

do you actually notice a difference riding it between the rocker and the non-rocker version? I'm going to be getting a new prior board this summer so just curious...I ride an older khyber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am 

There is a noticeable difference for sure! It stays on top of the snow much easier and transitions from edge to edge easier making turns and when you need to traverse in untracked pow it's like a whole different board, especially when you need to traverse switch.... Now did it completely change my snowboarding? No... But will i ever buy a full cambered board again? NO...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm 

Looks sweet. Be sure to give an long-term report on how she behaves.

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm 

I also ride my first split: A Backcountry with Hybird Rocker (2010 demo model). I find it handles very will in the trees with variable snow consistency. It stay on top of the powder and crud and crust very well. I like the way it turns quickly avoiding obstacles. It skins very well.
It doesn't ski to well not carving as a split, but if I wanted to ski I would buy skis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:27 pm 

Also just in case anybody was wondering, I picked up a new khyber with hybrid rocker. Hybrid rocker = the answer to all your splitboarding problems. The board is 10x more stable than my old standard cambered khyber, floats even better (if that was possible), and holds an edge on crappy snow better than you can imagine for a powder board. It also doesn't give up skinning ability that a full rockered board does. I'm sold!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 am 

Hei pow_hnd!

Do you still like that board? I have Jones solution 164 but it is too narrow to my feets.
I`m thinking about getting that Prior Backcountry 165 with 26 waist. Because I have US 11 boots.
I weight about 190lb and I am 6`1 tall. I think that board could be good fit for me.

Have you noticed any diffrence with "edge-catch". Is that board more "catch-free" with that rocker?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 am 

I have the exact same board, same size 165, w/ sparks, pretty happy with it. It's a big improvement compared to my old Burton S170 with the finicky Burton interface. The only thing I would have done differently is, the new setup is so much lighter than my old board that I wish I would have got a slightly longer one, probably the 168. I'm 6' 175lbs w/o gear. I tend to prefer longer boards but I went with the 165 because I wanted something lighter. Not that it doesn't float me, it does, and it rides great, I love it. So I really don't have anything to complain about, lol.

As far as the rocker versus no rocker, pretty much everyone agrees, as do I, that rocker is a good thing. But honestly, I'm not sure I notice a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, I like the way it rides, it works great. But then, every board I've ever had has worked great in hero snow. I mean, when there's over a meter of powder like we had in south coast these past few days (170cm in 5 days), how can you go wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 am 

How does this board handle wet mank? Firm corn? Steeps (like 40 to 50 degree slopes)?

Anyone ridden this board and the Mojo RX want to throw a comparo?

mucho gracias

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:25 pm 

SchralphMacchio wrote:
How does this board handle wet mank? Firm corn? Steeps (like 40 to 50 degree slopes)?

i can't speak personally to how it handles 50 degree slopes, but it is fairly stiff and handles firm snow and carves hardpack as well as my solid board imo (a 168 glissade brosif). it's a solid all around ride. kyle miller posted a review on this board a couple years ago. it sounds he spent a fair amount of time on it in the type of conditions and terrain you describe.

http://www.whereiskylemiller.com/?p=512

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 pm 

thanks for posting that tortoise ... Kyle and I used to ride Burton T6s inbounds before we each destroyed our boards, so maybe we have similar taste in rides.