Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venture Zephyr questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 am 

Hi,

I was looking at this because the site said it's flat in the middle with some rocker tips.

However, in the shop the 163 had a mild camber underfoot. Is this an exception or is the 'flat' in the description wrong?

Also, can I get a custom order in 155 in 27 width? I am thinking even the 159 has too much edge for me: 125cm. This seems weird, my current solid is K2 Turbo Dream 156, flat + rocker and has 117 effective edge :scratch: And most other boards I see around 159 - 160 seem to have edges like 119, 121... 125 edge on 159 just 'seems' too much to me... Any thoughts? I could also do a 159 in 27 w and 121 edge

The Venture feels very solid, but I am concerned it may have too much edge for me. And if it's really cambered between the bindings - I think it would not be as much fun as I want.

I am also considering other boards - like the Lib Tech Voila (seems lots of hassle to drill but expect fun riding), Never Summer Summit Split 160.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Venture Zephyr questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 pm 

I was also wondering about the flat camber between the feet. Have you found any more info on this? What is the benefit of no camber?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 pm 

I just saw this topic and I'll try and shed some light. I'm very similar to you in sizing for boards. I ride a NS Legacy 156 in bounds and just bought a 159 Zephyr, so maybe I can shed some light. For comparison, I'm 5' 7", 150lbs with 9.5 feet. I just got my first run on my new Zephyr 159. I want to note I literally only got one run, so you can take my responses as you see fit. So you know, it was pow conditions 35+ degree run, so that is all I can compare. I would like to put up a full review as soon as I put it through the ringer completely, but I'll try and shed light on the questions you had from my brief experience.
lernr wrote:
However, in the shop the 163 had a mild camber underfoot. Is this an exception or is the 'flat' in the description wrong?
I just looked at it, and the one I just got has about 1mm of camber. If I take two fingers I can press it together pretty easy, so pretty close to 0.

That being said, I liked the rocker of the Zephyr. I enjoyed skinning with it (great skin hold) as well as riding with it. I never felt like I would go over the bars. I was originally thinking of a 163, but opted for a 159 because I thought it would be more fun then the bigger plank in 95% of terrain. I think a benefit of 0 camber is better skin hold then with a reverse camber. I can't really compare though, I have a buddy who can skin up anything with a full reverse, so what am I to say. Riding, I felt that I kept up right on top of the snow (8+ inches fresh) and I was pumped on my choice of the 159. The 0 camber lets you pivot nice through the board. It feels more natural of a pivot to me then my Legacy when riding powder. It is for sure a different rocker then the Legacy, but so far, I like it.
lernr wrote:
The Venture feels very solid, but I am concerned it may have too much edge for me. And if it's really cambered between the bindings - I think it would not be as much fun as I want.
For comparison my NS Legacy 156 has 121 eff edge, and sometimes I feel that on bigger terrain, I want more edge and stability, and I have that now with the Zeph. Edge hold is good for some other types of terrain. So my main question is why do you think this is a problem? Are you concerned with the pivot or do you just not like having edge touching? With this board you will have more surface area, and will be able to be more stable at speed. I def think it more of a freeride board then the Legacy. It is stiffer for sure, but that is what I want. I do think that the pivot will make it turn really well, so if that is your reason for the hesitance, I don't think it will be a problem. As for playfulness, I felt that the board will be playful for me. Question will be, what is your definition of playful? If you want to ride switch, probably not, go with a Helix. My immediate impressions of this board was that it was responsive, stable, floated well, and has a super strong construction. My definition of playful is can I bomb through trees, drop cliffs, and ride pillows, and my thought is with this board is it will do it just fine, but I will have to see. It is def a stiffer board and built for more freeriding then a Legacy, but that was exactly what I wanted from it.

My thought is that the edge shouldn't be your biggest concern. The big things to consider with a Venture are length and width (duh, I know) :roll: . I've been told don't go too wide for your foot, because they can be slow edge to edge with wide boards. That being said, after one run I didn't notice any slower edge to edge, but once again, I want to put it through the ringer. I think a 27w 157 would be weird IMO, you want length for stability. Fit in their range considerations for width. They have a good sizing chart on their website. I have a 9.5 boot and felt that the board width of 25 was perfect for my feet. I shouldn't get any toe drag under 70 degrees :lol: , but I also have my stance 22.25" and 24 -12. If you have a more flat stance, and bigger feet, I would say the 26w is the way to go, but don't go too big.

Hope that helps. When I get a few more days on it I will try to post a more thorough review.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 am 

Thank you for the details, summersgone!

I have already decided to go the NS way - Heritage Split 161. I expect that it will be more playful because of the true rocker between the bindings.

The Venture seemed as an awesome board, but maybe not the best for me

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:08 am 

All good there Ivo, I definately like my Zephyr so far, but I still want to put it through the full test. Everyone has their own riding style and that is cool. I love NS too, so I don't think the Summit is a bad choice. Did you consider the Heritage? That also seems to be a really nice playful more freestyle big mountain board more so then the Summit, might be more in line with what your looking for. Food for thought.