Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helix?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:00 pm 

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Helix. My Divide has served me well, has survived a ton of abuse, but camber is pretty obsolete now. My in-bounds ride is a NS Legacy. If I had the dough, I would get an SL split. Love the Rocker-camber. However, I can get a better deal on a Venture. I know it's a totally different rocker profile, so I'm wondering if the Helix will be as good in all conditions. While my Legacy feels perfect in any situation, my Divide kinda limits my riding. It charges pretty well, but it is not very playful when I wanna get my jib on, and the 165 (longest they initially offered) seems a bit short in deep pow. So, if I were to get a Helix, would I be better going up or down just bit in size? Or is the Zephyr a good enough board for hucking and spinning that I should go for that instead? While I do want to be able to jib a bit, I also tend to ride some burly lines, and even though I am a pow snob, sketchy conditions are sometimes part of the deal.

Post subject: Re: Helix?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 am 

Never ridden a Helix, but ridden my Zephyr a whole lot. It's possible to huck and spin, but even though it's stiff, the Zephyr is not a very snappy board. It's more damp feeling. Feels more like a big mountain board than a freestyle board. Honestly, I kinda miss having a snappy tail.

The Helix is supposed to feel a bit livelier, but you could just call up Venture and ask them what they recommend. I saw something really cool in their 'shape shack' sectionon their site that was a cross between a Zephyr and Helix...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 am 

Jefe009 wrote:
you could just call up Venture and ask them what they recommend.
Lisa and Klem are the best!

I vote for the Odin. I was a very fun and lively board, but good in sketchy conditions too. I think they will all be more playful than the older Divides were.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Never ridden a Helix, but ridden my Zephyr a whole lot. It's possible to huck and spin, but even though it's stiff, the Zephyr is not a very snappy board. It's more damp feeling. Feels more like a big mountain board than a freestyle board. Honestly, I kinda miss having a snappy tail.

The Helix is supposed to feel a bit livelier, but you could just call up Venture and ask them what they recommend. I saw something really cool in their 'shape shack' sectionon their site that was a cross between a Zephyr and Helix...

This actually worries me a bit: I tested out the Storm last April at the Silverton Splitfest, it was stiffer than I'm used to and too directional for me. So I bought a Zephyr. I haven't ridden it yet but I'm kind of wondering whether I should have gone with the Helix instead. I ride switch quite a bit, but I'm going to be splitting for the most part on deep days so I wanted the setback and taper.

I also saw the Zelix hybrid board (no taper but a small setback, at least I think) which was pretty appealing but they only made solids. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll get some time on the Zephyr, I'm starting to go a bit crazy, this time last year I already had 2 weeks of riding...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm 

I can speak to the 09/10 Helix a bit (rocked twintip, flat underfoot, not sure if they still make it that way). I love that board. I rode a solid and a split (both 62s, shorter than anything I'd owned before). As a split, it's still the most fun shredstick I've owned for pow conditions in any type of terrain & jibbing around in the trees. That being said, I prefer my Unity Dominon for just about everything else. I suspect the Dominion rides more like the Zephyr or older Divide. The Helix just isn't responsive enough in the funky stuff and I definitely found myself changing my riding style when it was my only split. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 pm 

chrishami wrote:
this time last year I already had 2 weeks of riding...
First off, this is a good thing. Those storms were the #1 reason for a horrible snowpack the remainder of the year. Keep the snow away until it comes in full force.

chrishami wrote:
I bought a Zephyr. I haven't ridden it yet but I'm kind of wondering whether I should have gone with the Helix instead
The storm is noticeably stiffer then the Zephyr. And although riding switch in powder it doesn't excel, it does it still, and better then the Storm. I also think the Zephyr is better for most backcountry days then a helix, at least for me. Big terrain it shines, and in trees its still fun. I don't spin much with a splitboard, so I guess I'm different then you guys. I'm a small guy and I like big terrain. In cliffs, it excels, and I'm extremely comfortable charging a cliff and not going over the bars with it. I'm not doing 180s off them or 540s, so it works great for me. I would say you still made a good choice. Everyone is re-evaluating their gear right now just itching for snow, its a normal thing ;)

fustercluck wrote:
Love the Rocker-camber. However, I can get a better deal on a Venture. I know it's a totally different rocker profile, so I'm wondering if the Helix will be as good in all conditions.
I ride a NS Legacy inbounds and a Venture Zephyr as a splitboard, so maybe I can offer insight. I think flat camber has more "surfy" feel, and rocker camber has more "skate" feel, very generally speaking. I like the two setups I have for different reasons. I think the Venture boards are stiffer, smoother, and go faster. I find they make bigger and faster turns, but that may be the models and sidecut. For the backcountry, I prefer that design for the riding I do. The taper I enjoy a lot over Neversummers twin design. If it is untouched snow, I think the Venture outperforms the NS. But on the resort where you have a lot of nimble moves and not as much powder (aka bumps), I prefer the NS profile. It is easier to initiate turns with that RC profile in my opinion. It has more pop from the camber under the feet, spins better, and is more nimble, so for that terrain, I like it. But I think the rocker profile of it isn't as stable at speed or in powder. I believe each has their place depending on your style and terrain. If you want to go fast and stable, Venture is the way. If you want to be poppy and playful, NS profile is probably a choice for you.

*Note: I have not rode the NS Raptor, and itching to get on that for a comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 pm 

summersgone wrote:
chrishami wrote:
this time last year I already had 2 weeks of riding...
First off, this is a good thing. Those storms were the #1 reason for a horrible snowpack the remainder of the year. Keep the snow away until it comes in full force.

The storm is noticeably stiffer then the Zephyr. And although riding switch in powder it doesn't excel, it does it still, and better then the Storm. I also think the Zephyr is better for most backcountry days then a helix, at least for me. Big terrain it shines, and in trees its still fun. I don't spin much with a splitboard, so I guess I'm different then you guys. I'm a small guy and I like big terrain. In cliffs, it excels, and I'm extremely comfortable charging a cliff and not going over the bars with it. I'm not doing 180s off them or 540s, so it works great for me. I would say you still made a good choice. Everyone is re-evaluating their gear right now just itching for snow, its a normal thing ;)

Thanks, I feel better. :D
Good point on the snowpack, quality over quantity riding days, except right this minute when I'm so ready to ride. I'm going to be riding my Zephyr split on deep days, steeps and trees mostly (and Silverton Splitfest 2013!). Resort days with the wife and kids, groomers and some trees, will be on my Jones Mountain Twin. I think I might have made the right decision after all. Just need to ride the Zephyr and see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure Helix + setback stance = Zelix. Think that's the route I'm going. The only worries I have is holding an edge on firm, steep lines. If it's an issue, I'll keep the Divide for those kinda days. And, yes, all the folks at Venture are awesome, stoked to be getting another board from them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm 

Liking the helix so far. First 6-8 days on it were bottomless blower pow, so tough to get a good feel for it other than say it floats well with the stance back 1". More recently, rode some fast, creamy pow which got the back leg burning a bit, then took it down the Crescent with a few inches of edgeable wintry snow where it rode real nice on the steeps, as well as the windboard/scoured/sastrugi on the runout. Still haven't gotten to air it out much, so gonna have to see if the rockered tail provides adequate pop. Doesn't look like the Sierra is going to have it's typical January corn harvest this year, so that's gonna have to wait. More blower testing commences tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm 

fustercluck wrote:
Liking the helix so far.

Glad to hear it, I'm liking my Zephyr too so far. That said, I am still sort of questioning whether I should have gone with the Helix. I have about 5 days touring on the Z and a couple more inbounds days on it. Great float in powder, more nimble in the trees than I would've expected (168 to my normal 160 solid), good edge hold. Not in love with how it feels riding switch but then again, I went for taper/ setback intentionally. Also, I did notice inbounds on the cat tracks it felt pretty hooky. Maybe I just need to detune a bit more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm 

The more I ride this thing, the more I'm liking it. It's done well airing off some pow-covered features, and stuck landings off smallish 10-15' rock drops. I was a bit worried about the rockered tail lacking pop or washing out on landings, but this hasn't been the case. While it doesn't seem to have the pop of my NS, and isn't as precise, it is definitely more conducive to all around riding than the Divide.