Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VENTURE SPLIT ADVICE
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:35 am 

Hiyas, im looking to put my first splitboard together for the upcoming season here in New Zealand. I plan to travel some more in the future so really want a versitle setup that can handle varied conditions but lets me get amongst some big deep carves and tree runs. Ive only been riding a couple of seasons so still progressing, my current board is a burton joystick 163w which ive been happy with and got me down some good powder lines in japan when i was over there. I have limited boards available to me over here without the expense of shipping but ive found some 13 stock ventures. There is a helix 163, Zephyr 168 and an Odin 165. Iv read a lot of info online and feel that the Zephyr would most along the lines of all mountain versatility i was hoping for but i was thinking of staying around the 163 size of my current board. Im 6 foot 2 and weigh around 86kg / 190lb without gear. Originally i was set on 163 W jones solution but venture seem like a good product and these 3 are available semi local. Cheers in advance.

Post subject: Re: VENTURE SPLIT ADVICE
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:47 am 

I'm about the same size as you and have ridden just about everything that Venture and Jones makes.

First off, I love how the Jones Solution rides, I have it in a 169W and although it holds up well at high speeds, it's also easily maneuverable in tight spots as well. However, these are not the most burly boards for standing up to those razor sharp NZ rocks y'all got down there.

The Venture boards are burly, all of them. They are made to take a hit. The shape and design of the Zephyr makes it a great backcountry tool, although it will be a little heavy. It will take a little more effort to turn and maneuver this board, but it will be a solid performer in all conditions, especially high speed and variable choppy mank.

Post subject: Re: VENTURE SPLIT ADVICE
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 pm 

Hey man, thanks for your help. How you describe the solution sounds like exactly what im after, im wondering what ventures closest match would be. Have you had a chance to ride the zelix. Sounds like it could be worth getting the latest version of that board if it is lighter and more refined. Someone else recommended i go with the storm 166 but im kind of keen to stick with more of a twin shape. Would you say go for the 163 or 167 in the zelix.

Cheers.