Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venture Odin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm 

Does anyone have any reports on the Venture Odin Split ?
I have an 'old school' Euphoria and a Storm both as solid boards so I know the Venture brand overall ,
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Venture Odin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:45 am 

Can't compare it to the other 2 but I rode the 163 Odin in Silverton and loved it (Thanks Lisa & Klem!). I didn't think is was quite the burly beast it is proposed to be. I found it snappy and playful (rocker) and good in all the conditions we had. If I buy one it would likely be the 168cm. I would definitely recommend it, and it would be my Venture of choice. Since you already have Ventures I don't need to tell you how strong they are and damp they ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:31 am 

Anybody else with an Odin review? I am a big guy- 6'2" and 240lbs and am used to stiffer boards (ns titan tx). I only have the budget for one split, and am tired of the noodle ride of my 10 year old split decision. The Odin is marketed as a gun, but Im curious if others felt it was pretty good in all around conditions, as I need performance and versatility. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:39 am 

Here's a review I did for Mountain Gear's Blog. Maybe it will give you a better idea on all-around conditions.

http://www.mountaingear.com/themountainblog/2014/01/war-wisdom-venture-odin-splitboard/#more-2944

Over all, the board is a high speed monster and I like it for most all other conditions too. I've ridden it more since I wrote the review and I've got it pretty dialed on steep jump turns and tight trees.

I would agree with PedroDelfuego, It's a solid board with a stiff flex but at the same time it's a super fun board. Not bogged down at all. I totally dig it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am 

Thanks for the review and input. Very helpful info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:22 am 

Well, I bought the Odin. Will get to ride it next week and follow up with a report. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:41 pm 

After spending 5 days in the backcountry on the odin 173/26, I can say that it is definitely a versatile board. Killed pow effortlessly and was equally stable on the big lines as it was nimble in the tight steep trees. Definitely not as stiff and unforgiving as some have said. I am very stoked on the pickup.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:06 pm 

Just want to add my note of approval to this board too. Freaking awesome for big lines, I really can't imagine how it can get better (other than lighter, which Lisa and Klem are already doing for 2015.) So yeah, not the ideal board for yo yo pow laps or freestyle splitting, but for the steep lines that most of us want, this board is the best thing I've found so far.

Pair this thing with Phantoms and you got a sweet ride under your feet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
not the ideal board for yo yo pow laps or freestyle splitting,
Sure it is!

I have the 164 and it's fun to ride. It kills it at all speeds, switch, resorts, whatever you like.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Jefe009 wrote:
not the ideal board for yo yo pow laps or freestyle splitting,
Sure it is!

I have the 164 and it's fun to ride. It kills it at all speeds, switch, resorts, whatever you like.

Agreed, the Odin is really fun at all speeds and I do ride it switch plenty. However I must say my Abacus is more 'fun' (and lighter) for airs / jibs etc.

To each their own... :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:31 am 

Just received my brand new Odin split this Friday. So I thought I would write a little review:
Complete setup: Venture Odin Splitboard Size 169 (26cm waist), Spark skins, Spark Burner bindings, Fitwell Backcountry boots.
Rider: 1m83, 81kg, rather powerful old-school style.

First impressions out of the pack:
Build quality looks good. The board feels slightly lighter without hardware than my old Burton S-series (which was a 164!). It shows there has been some progress in the splitboarding field in the past 12 years, as the Odin is not exactly known as a light board. Insert integration seems nice... Overall really happy with the product.

First trip feedback: Bonatchiesse(1600m alt.) - Cabane de Panossière (2641m) - Petit Combin (3663m) and back:
Day 1 (UP): Bonatchiesse - Cabane de Panossière
Left early in the morning. A little hiking though the trees needed to get to the snow (normally this time of year it's not really an issue, but this year snow in the Swiss Alps has been scarce, especially in the Grand St. Bernard area). The board does feel heavy on the pack, maybe I feel it more than the other one due to the added length creating more inertia... Or maybe I'm not as fit as I used to be.

Once skinning, the weather is warm and the snow is already a bit soft. The board feels lighter on the feet than the S-Series (not due to the interface as I had modified the S-series to use the same Spark bindings as I am using on the Odin). I have not done any precise comparative weighing of the two setups, maybe this would be worth doing. Still, skins well, no complaints, and I'm able to follow my skier friends with no issue.

Once the snow starts to harden a bit with the altitude, I had a couple of edge hold scares. The rocker profile (more of a flat - to - early rise but still...) definitely reduces edge hold a bit compared to the old board, and the slightly less grippy skins (Sparks compared to the old Black Diamonds) probably play a role as well. However, with a bit of technique I manage to follow the skiers and after a bit of getting used to, I don't seem to slide any more than they do. The top sheet does not seem to accumulate snow, which was a problem with the S-Series. As a result, the board remains light on the feet, and the hike up continues. The snow starts to soften again, and the Cabane is reached without losing an edge again.

Day 2 (UP+DOWN): Starting again early in the morning, the snow has frozen again from the previous day. The track is icy in patches where the previous skinners slid and damaged it yesterday when it was melted. I am surprised by how good the edge hold is with the little technique adjustments from yesterday. The length helps fur sure as well, and even on a difficult and icy track I seem to be able to follow the skiers, and definitely don't slide more than they do. The skins are grippier than theirs, which probably helps as well, but still the board seems to perform really well on the up. A serious upgrade on the S series.

Once on the top, transition is swift and we start going down. It is still morning and we are quite high, and the summit has been blown by strong winds in recent days. The snow is quite hard and wavy, quite difficult to ride. The board performs well, very good hold, quite tolerant. On the less wavy bits I even allow myself a couple of Vitelli turns. Old school baby yeah! The rockered nose shakes around a bit at high speeds on the icy wavy crust sculpted by the wind, but it's only visual, you really don't feel it in the feet. Really impressed. It is really easy to maneuver even compared to my solid board (169 NS Raptor). It gets easily in and out of turns, doesn't feel heavy on the feet like I read in previous reviews.

Transition back to skinning mode to get to the pass, then back down through a steep couloir with some proper powder. The top of the couloir is narrow and jump turns are required. Again, I am impressed by how the board performs, much lighter on the feet and much more reactive than the solid Raptor. I feel secure in the jump turns, even with my legs tired by a day and a half of skinning. The couloir opens up a bit wider and the slope reduces a bit. The board floats really well thanks to the length and early rise. I was a bit afraid it would lack pop at turn exit with the non-cambered profile, but am there again happily surprised. The tail has quite a nice "poppy" feel to it and the board comes out of its turns effortlessly. Once on the glacier, the snow has melted a bit. The board behaves well in the slush, floating nicely, still feeling light on the feet which is really nice on the slushy snow. Still, it's quite flat on the glacier so this will have to be confirmed on steeper terrain.

This is clearly a board that likes speed, wide curves and steep slopes. However, when pushing a bit harder on it, it does feel quite nimble and able to take tight turns. To be confirmed later on in the forest.

Back in skinning mode for a 20min hike up to a pass, to reach a nice steep couloir. The skins are unhappy with so many snow types and temperature changes, and start "gulping" snow a bit, which makes the way up painful. Still, excellent edge hold on the up. The board halves are well balanced around the pivot, which helps in the steep conversions, and the pass is reached.

Back to board mode for the way down. The snow is slushy, the couloir is quite wide and steep. Again, the board feels nimble and the jump turns are performed quite easily for a board this size. The board really feels safe and consistent, very predictable. Nice feeling in steep terrain, especially on changing snow. The board floats well on the slush. There is space here so I take the opportunity to perform some high speed turns.

We reach the trees, and I am again impressed by how tight this board can turn considering its size. The snow is really heavy now and the board still performs well. The tree slalom in the forest is going impressively well and I don't need to push too hard on the board to turn it, which is really nice at the end of a two day trip.

Overall, really impressed by this board, especially by its versatility. I expected to struggle in tight terrain with such a long board and it really wasn't the case. Also impressed by the fact that this board is very predictable, very "healthy" in its behavior, which is difficult to obtain on a splitboard with all the moving bits. The performance uphill was good as well. The setup is not exceedingly heavy, and the good stiffness under the foot helps offset the loss of the camber.

So overall a really good all-rounder for the powerful rider.