Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 Mojo observation/question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 pm 

Anyone with a 2009 Mojo notice the board halves don't quite match?

Where the tips meet on my 166 its very tight. Conversely the middle has a gap. As a consequence the inside edges have tended to jump one atop the other, so the bottom of the board is not flush in places. The center edge on one half sits below the other, while the opposite half does this on the tips. Essentially I can catch an edge in the middle of the board. :shock:

I didn't really see this as a big deal because it pops back into to place under weight. That is until I added the Karakoram board clips. Now its really pronounced. I don't ride this board much outside of spring and fall because it behaves really squirly on packed out flats. Its pretty clear this is why.

I entertained the thought that my pucks needed adjustment, but the K clips make it clear this occurs with, or with out the binders mounted.

Anyways, if you have had this issue you may want to rethink the K clips... While you gain a very solid connection, it would appear anything outside of powder is going to be a crap shoot. Not a fault with the clips, in fact in this case they my work to well.

I welcome your thoughts, suggestions...

Very difficult to photograph, but....

Post subject: Re: 2009 Mojo observation/question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 pm 

Looks like it could be a warranty issue if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 pm 

Doug,
I would send those pics and a explanation to voile. Seems like more than just the standard issue stuff going on here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:02 am 

Thanks man, I'll do that, I just wasn't sure how they'd react since its an '09...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:51 pm 

I would imagine that as soon as your bindings are in place across both halves of the board, the mismatch would be eliminated. Have you tried it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:00 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
I entertained the thought that my pucks needed adjustment, but the K clips make it clear this occurs with, or with out the binders mounted.
As I said the board has always exhibited this condition (e.g. with, or without binders), but the K clips take all the play out of the system, so it stays stuck in the position I've described... With the YinYan clips there was enough play that the halves would plane out under weight, so I didn't fret over it.... I'm not one to moan about my gear holding me back, and since this isn't my board of choice I could live with the gap, but now its not really rideable IMHO....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:50 pm 

I was in-store looking at this year's very brand new Voile Mojo and noticed this exact problem. There was a significant gap between the ski halves in "board mode". At least 2 to 3 mm.. so much so that if I put my eye right up to it, I could see right through the other side..like I was looking through a peep hole. I also noticed the skis were not flush with each other at the base. I thought the same thing you did.. you can definitely catch an edge in the middle of your board in "ride mode".

I was flat out surprised as much as disappointed to see this in a brand new product. This board had the plates mounted over the pucks.. which tells me when plates are slid through the pucks, clips/hooks are snapped shut.. this board is already defective and hasnt even left the store floor.

To be honest, I know the Mojo may be a suitable option for splitters on a budget. But comparing this to my last two Prior splitboards (which have been manufactured to perfection and stayed true over multiple seasons) .. I could never think saving just a few hundred dollars would be worth buying a Mojo over a Prior or other similarly manufactured splitboard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:30 pm 

Someone just PM'd me about this as this is first time I've seen this thread.

Here we go:
Karakorams mounted on mojo 166

I was gonna ride this Wednesday. Do you guys really think this will be noticeable? I've never heard of catching an edge in the center of your board.

Btw, I get this permanent lip w/ my bindings locked in and the clips open too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:34 pm 

ARKANA wrote:

I was flat out surprised as much as disappointed to see this in a brand new product. This board had the plates mounted over the pucks.. which tells me when plates are slid through the pucks, clips/hooks are snapped shut.. this board is already defective and hasnt even left the store floor.

that isn't completely true. Small adjustments in the pucks will close the gap. I saw this all the time working at voile, someone would send the board back saying that the halves were all fucked up with the gap, but five minutes adjusting the pucks with the puck alignment tool took care of it. Just because the board has a slider track on it in the store doesn't mean that the board is set up and ready to go. Voile puts all of the pucks on tight and at a uniform angle, but with the assumption that the owner will take all of that off to adjust it to their stance, as each rider is unique. Therefore there will be some inconsistencies in the exact position of the pucks thus creating and erasing gap. My biggest complaint with the voile interface is puck adjustment. The pucks are time consuming to set up and if done hastily can either push or pull your board halves together.

However the issue snurfer presented is different than just board gap. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Is the inconsistency along the entire running length or just the center?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:46 pm 

ARKANA wrote:
I was in-store looking at this year's very brand new Voile Mojo and noticed this exact problem.

just out of curiosity it was the new mojo RX?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 am 

Hey Doug,
This mod might help. As much as I am an advocate for DIY splits there does seem to be quite a bit of play between board halves especially the older the board gets and mine are super old. I don't think it will effect you much but I use this mod on super firm days.
I know some guys who use this all the time even on their factory splitties. Doesn't weigh a thing. I don't mind capped construction but I think the inside edge should definitely be sidewalled just for the fact it will provide more surface area for the board halves to connect on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 am 

The model I saw in store was the Mojo SD.. not Mojo RX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 am 

Great idea Nic, I'll have to give that a try. You are correct about the cap construction. Even if tolerances are extremely precise, the surface area of the edge alone is hardly adequate as a mating surface. Particularly with camber under weight.

BTW sorry I missed you yesterday