Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Freeride Vs Mojo Vs Mojo Rx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:25 am 

I'm trying to decide between these three boards and having a tough time deciding. I've been snowshoeing/riding the BC for about five yrs and haven't bought a new board in about 12 yrs...yes 12 yrs. So the new tech, shape etc. is making my head spin. I'm a "fair weather" boarder in SLC so I primarily ride the pow, but want a "versatile" board that favors pow. I don't do crazy stuff...no big air, nasty shoots, etc...just carv it up for the most part. I'm 5'6" and 135-140 with gear. I've read all of the posts here and it's been helpful, but I thought I would post anyway to get some feedback.

A friend has said "no way" to top cap construction, but is it that big of a deal? I understand the manufacturing is cheaper, but the "boutique" boards don't seem to be making them this way so that begs the question if it's inherently "bad". I confident if I have problems Voile will back it up... I'm local SLC and WILL stick with Voile. Freeride just because it's not cap construction?

The Rx is lighter, rockered, tapered, stiffer so it seems to be the board to get me up the mountain faster, easier to enjoy the pow so it seems this is the best choice. Will it still handle the crust OK? Am I correct?

As far as length...I've read the debates there also. A friend says I will never regret a slightly bigger board, but would regret a slightly short board (for me). I'm leaning toward the 166. I kow that seems big but the rocker should help me manage the turns. Is this sound logic?

I appreciate the advice.

Post subject: Re: Voile Freeride Vs Mojo Vs Mojo Rx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 am 

If you have the money I would for sure go the MojoRx. I've never personally had the chance to ride a rockered board (too poor) but I think from what everyone says it's a must these days. The only down size to a cap construction is it's hard to repair, but I have a sidewall and capped splitty and theres no difference. The cap is lighter that's about it, doesn't change your ride. And I've blown edges on both, they both suck to repair. The mojo rx is a solid board one of the lightest I believe, which is a definite plus. I'm your same size I would probably disagree with your buddy I ride a 163 as my standard size I would probably go down rather than up just because the rocker improves float. If your only out to shred soul turns you might want to look at a swallow as well.

Anyways, hope that helps. I say this a lot but don't geek out too hard, some of the guys on here are more confusing than anything else and have lost the point along with any validity to what they say. See you in the bc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:36 am 

From what I understand, the main benefit of a cap style construction is that you reduce weight. Not much but if you are a weight snob then you might prefer the cap style. Although it really also depends on the materials used in the construction. I've heard that several drawbacks to it include:

1. Not as resistant to edge impacts. Because it's not as stout as a sidewall construction it could more easily compact the core adjacent to the point of impact on the edge.
2. Not as weather resistant. It's easier for moisture to penetrate the core.

That being said, if you are protective of your gear and take care of it, and you aren't shooting gnarly rocky couloirs, and don't leave your board out in the weather all winter, the cap style will probably work just fine. My first board was a Sims Quest with cap style from like 1994ish and it is still ridable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm 

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 am 

I have a Mojo. It was actually one of the very first ones sold. I have beat the crap out of it. It's my rock board, loaner board, longer day board. The top sheet has been abused (and it shows!), edges and base beat the hell, and yet structurally, it seems sound as a pound (just a little softer in flex these days).

I had a Voile Freeride prior to getting the Mojo. The Freeride's ride was a bit noodly on exits and firm surfaces but rode just fine in pow. The Mojo felt much stiffer and snappier than the Freeride.

I think you'd be fine with either one. I would also consider one of the Voile Mountain Guns if you come across one though some of the last ones built had some delam issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 pm 

if you have the cash i would go with the new mojo Rx

if not pick up a mojo. much better than the freeride and in my opinion the mtn gun.

don't worry about cap construction i've beat the fuck out of my mojo's and have yet to have an issue. plus cap construction used to be all the rage a few years ago, market perception isn't always correct. cap construction for me has been as durable as sidewall(i'm no expert just my opinion), however sidewall is easier to repair if you take a nasty hit. but like i said 100+ touring days and i haven't come close to blowing the cap, or an edge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm 

I've had mojo for two seasons.
Season one it got beat up (visually) pretty quickly, but functionally its fine. Season two it was my spring/fall board and saw little action.
Personally, I'd go with the RX. This is because I don't like the way the Mojo rides on icy flats. Which in the Wasatch is most every approach trail at the end of the day (Think of cat tracks at resorts). When its flat and featureless the tail wants to spin toe side, so Im on my heel side the entire time which is very hard on old dudes knees and back. :nononno: I'm pretty sure the rocker tip and tapered tail will help alleviate some of this.
Bottom line, you simply cannot beat the price of admission and the customer support :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:24 am 

I didn't like how my Mojo rode in powder. One day PJ and I swapped boards (Prior Backcountry) and I couldn't believe the difference in fun. Same snow and terrain and Mojo = Plank BC =pow slasher

I'd go with the Rx too. Snurfer nailed in below. Voile will give you the best customer support you've ever had in your life. No matter who answers the phone they will really try to help. No getting passed around or any of that kind of bullshit. They will not make you feel like a liar either. Your guaranteed an honest conversation about your order/problem. They don't fuck up on shipping either cause they do shit like count shit twice. The little shit that you never see anymore, they do it.

Snurfer wrote:
Bottom line, you simply cannot beat the price of admission and the customer support :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 am 

I think the freeride rides like poop. It is fine once you really get it going, but until then, it has a very very catchy tail. So when you are trying to negotiate some scrub or get lined up for the the start of a sketchy drop in, good luck. Believe it or not I liked the FR in hacked up resort powder riding. But for BC stuff that has very varied conditions you can never let your guard down.

So RX for sure. Hopefully they have the shape resolved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:56 pm 

So am I the only one that's owned and ridden all of these boards? I'm such a voile whore :lol:

The cap construction is lighter and has more pop IMHO. The topsheet gets worn much faster, but it's just superficial. The difference between the freeride and the mojo was night and day, and the difference between the mojo and the rx was even greater IMHO. Regarding the catchy tail and the idea that the Freeride was better in chopped resort powder then bc conditions, I'd have to agree. The freeride is also very fun to carve on groomers...but that's not exactly what we get in the BC is it?

So yeah, I'd get past the cap construction and ride the RX if you can swing it. And yeah, it'll handle crust..at least as well as crust can be handled.

I've heard people refer to mojos as "planks" but I (personally) never got that. Maybe it has to do with rider size? I'm about 5'9" and 150, and to me, the only one of the three that was a plank was the Freeride, the only NON-capped board. Then again, Ecobrad and I are about the same size so maybe I just need to borrow PJs board sometime :D

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 pm 

The problem with cap construction is that there is less contact area where the 2 skis meet to make the board. I have a 161 mojo with sparks and I can definitely feel it scissor or flex between the skis when riding on hard snow. My buddies on ventures don't seem to experience it. I think that is the single issue that will prevent me from upgrading to a mojorx.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm 

I just wanted to follow up with my post. I ended up buying the Mojo 166. I also made the switch to some Scarpa AT boots. Although this is my first splitboard, I'm 110% satisfied with my purchase. My only point of reference is a 147 resort board with soft boots that I've hauling up the mountain for years now. It seems like a huge leap to such a big board, but the connection to this board was instantaneous. The Scarpa boots are amazing also. I've come to appreciate the "great debate" of soft vs hard. As a "convert", I can say that in the BC, hard boots are my preference hands down.

Thanks for the advice. Happy splitting!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 am 

I love my MOjo, but then again ,I love all my boards and they all serve a purpose....Even my 182 from back in the day(circa 1999) ... It still rides amazing in the pow...

Though I can t wait to get on the Mojo Rx...Can tafford it yet, but maybe next year.

"This is the best part of the trip", Someones out there trying to make a better, stronger, lighter, and more fluid riding machine for us all to experiment our insanity on....

I m game , been at it on the splitty's since 97' ... Voile Rocks... You can t go wrong with the newest Machina of the gods.........

Buy it.... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.